Doctor insights on:
When Do You Close A Patent Foramen Ovale
...In newborns, it allows proper circulation in the fetus by shunting blood coming from the mother's placenta to the left side of the baby's heart, which is pumped immediately out to the body. Nearly all infants have this structure still open when they are born, which usually close within weeks to months after birth. A small percentage of adults still can have an ...Read more
My son (age 15) just had a physical and a heart mumur - he had a electrocardiogram and found patent foramen ovale - should he have surgery to close?
Depends: A patent formen ovale is usually asymptomatic and does not require treatment, however, the issue needs to be assessed by a cardiologist to ensure that there is no other cardiac anomaly. See this site for more information. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/pmh0002102/. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
PFO: Patent foramen ovale or pfo is a congenital remnant which normally closes at birth but for several reasons can open later in life. Blood or clots can travel across and if they do, the opening should be closed. It can be closed either surgically or by a catheter based procedure. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Small heart opening: It is an opening in the wall between the upper chambers of the heart that allows blood from the placenta to get to where it needs to go during fetal life. All babies are born with this. It usually closes after birth, but 20% of all adults still have this. It is normal, though it has been associated with stroke, migraine headach, and decompression illness in scuba divers. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Patent foramen ovale describes a hole in the wall separating the top two chambers of the heart. A hole exists normally here during the development of the baby inside the womb, but it is supposed to close at birth. A hole that remains after birth can cause problems with blood ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- When do you prescribe a cast vs a walking boot after foot and ankle injury
- Why do you get a strange taste in your mouth when you have a cold or flu?
- If you have a 35 40 day cycle when do you ovulate
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- When you go on a low carb diet do you tend to urinate more
- Do you burp a lot when your pregnant?
- When do you need a tetanus shot
- When do you have to be hospitalized with a ruptured ovarian cyst
- Talk to a pediatrician online