Doctor insights on:
Whats The Difference Between A Broken Or Sprain Thumb
Alot : A sprained thumb is a soft tissue injury of the ligaments about one or more of the joints of the thumb a broken thumb is a fracture of one or more of the three bones of the thumb unless a ligament is completely torn usually sprains do not require and surgery depending on the fracture configuration and location a fracture may require surgery. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hard vs Soft Tissue!: A fracture involves hard tissue - i.e. Bones. A strain, or sprain involves soft tissues - muscles, ligaments, tendons, or cartilages. A fracture is often treated by immobilzation in a splint or a cast. Soft tissue injuries usually respond to cold compresses initially, and then changing to warm compresses and movement therapies. Xrays and bone scans for bones. Mris for bones and soft tissues. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
By X-ray: Have an x-ray done.Get a more detailed answer ›
How do I tell the difference between a hyperextended thumb and a sprained thumb i hurt it playing vball & now hurts when pressure is being applied
Same condition: A sprain is an injury to a ligament that holds bones together at a joint. This is likely what you have. Warm soaks and rest can help to heal. Sometimes it an take several months for all the pain to resolve. Avoid repetitious injury by wearing a protective splint while playing. ...Read more
Microtear v. partial: A Grade 1 is the most minor type of ligament sprain, and usually implies microtears. A Grade 2 means a partial tear and is a more significant injury. The final type is a Grade 3 which means a full-thickness tear. Symptoms and signs tend to be higher (more pain, dysfunction, swelling) with Grade 2 over Grade 1. ...Read more
Xray: It sometimes can be hard to say on your own. If it was a fairly mild injury and you get better in 2-3 days, it was probably just a sprain. But if you had a substantial injury or it does not start feeling better soon, i would sure be seen to get an xray. The thumb is very important for function, so you don't want to neglect it if you do have a fracture. Thank you for the question. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the difference between a broken and sprained thumb?
- Whats the difference between a broken collarbone or fractured
- What is the main difference between a sprained thumb and a broken thumb?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the main difference between a broken foot and a sprained foot?
- What is the difference in treatment of a broken or sprained little toe?
- How do you tell the difference between a sprain or a break?
- How do you know the difference between a sprained or fractured ankle?
- Talk to a orthopedic surgeon online for free