Doctor insights on:
What Would Happen If You Swallow A Button Battery
Go to emergency room: Button battery can cause severe problems in the esophagus, including perforation. ...Read more
This didn't happen and hopefully never will but I've been reading dangers of toddlers swallowing button batteries. How soon would symptoms show and what?
Sudden colic: It is hard to define the delay before symptoms as ingestion is often unrecognised. Abdominal cramps/pain/sudden change in behavior may be your only signs. The button battery generates an electrical current that can destroy tissue and the battery eats through the wall of the stomach or intestines. This allows digestive debris including germs to leak into the inside of the body. Disaster is predicatble. ...Read more
At sisters house a wk ago. 2 yo brought me a button battery he found. My sister swears it was only one. Would symptoms be obvious now if he did swallow one?
Foreign Objects: There would not be any symptoms and the battery would pass in the stool. ...Read more
Confused. So, if a baby swallowed a toxic button battery that burnt holes in GI tract, how would it be possible to not see symptoms 1 wk post ingestion?
Not that common: Button batteries are bad because the electric current does cause chemical burns in the GI tract. However, it usually only happens if the button is stuck somewhere. If a button keeps moving around and eventually out the anus, there may be no symptoms. Batteries that don't get stuck in the esophagus (and cause burns) usually pass through without burning any holes, but doctors do follow-up carefully. ...Read more
My husband is having strong stomach pain right above his belly button when swallowing or eating what is it? It also gets worse when bending over.
I have pain in throat when swallowing and a wierd sickness feeling just above my belly button. I suffer from anxiety could this be an ulcer?
Acid reflux: It sounds more like you might be experiencing acid reflux and as a result heartburn. This may make you feel sick and with a burning sensation which at times can be very uncomfortable or painful. Start eating a diet low in fats and irritant free, so avoid fried foods, sauces, caffeine, mint, tobacco, among others. Anti acids like Tums help as well as otc meds like zantac (ranitidine). If persist f/u with pcp. ...Read more
I have a belly button hernia. My stomach feels and looks like I swallowed a watermelon. I can't lose weight and alot of stomach pain. What should I do?
Hernia Repair: If you have an umbilical (Belly Button) hernia and you're having pain, you should have surgery to repair the problem. Following surgery and healing, you'll be able to exercise without pain or risk of hernia incarceration (intestines getting "stuck" in the hernia). The combination of diet modification and exercise will allow you to lose weight. Liposuction after achieving goal weight if necessary. ...Read more
Caustic: Battery ingestion should always be evaluated on an emergency basis. The battery leakage results in caustic injury and possible death. In addition the size alone could cause a blockage. ...Read more
Depends on location:
If the battery reaches the stomach, it will be allowed to pass through the body. If it becomes lodged in the throat or esophagus, it must be retrieved to avoid the caustic erosion and possible perforation of the pharynx (throat) or esophagus.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia. ...Read more
I think I need to rephrase-question. This did not happen. Educating myself. Could a button battery sit in your intestines for a week and not cause sx?
You would pass it: Generally you eliminate what you eat in a ay or two. So it is not in your intestines for a week unless it got stuck. ...Read more
Would you see symptoms by now if toddler ingested button battery 11 days ago? Don't think it happened.
Go get an xray: Button batteries can cause significant burns in the esophagus in as little as 2 hours. Ingestion of a button battery is an emergency that requires immediate evaluation. A significant burn from a button battery can be fatal and unfortunately I've seen it happen. If you even suspect a battery ingestion, go to the emergency room immediately. By this time you may be ok but you need an xray to know. ...Read more
Could an ingested button battery in a baby go unnoticed for a week or longer without any sx? This didn't happen. Just trying to educate family.
Yes: Depends on the progression, location and size of the button battery. Could remain in GI tract for long without symptoms. ...Read more
So then what would happen if your child ingested a button battery and it wasn't witnessed. How soon would you most likely see symptoms? Scares me!
Don't wait: Onset of symptoms can vary by battery type/size. If likelihood is high that battery was ingested then er for x-ray is advised. ...Read more
X-ray: An x-ray would be able to tell you. ...Read more
Everything goes in: Children particularly the younger ones put everything in their mouth. They don't know better they are just experimenting. We, being the responsible ones need to keep their environment safe from these dangers. Batteries particularly can be very dangerous, not just choking. The battery acid can eat through their bowel wall. ...Read more
So if a baby ingested a small button battery and it stuck wouldn't it produce severe signs/sx if it were damaging tissues by a week post ingestion?
Yes, but: Small button batteries can be extremely toxic. They may not produce significant symptoms until it is "too late". I would recommend that your baby be evaluated by a pediatrician and consideration be given to an x-ray to make sure that the button battery is not stuck somewhere. ...Read more
How dangerous are liquid from leaked batteries? Do I need to decontaminate every item stored in the same drawer as some leaked button-cell batteries?
Leaked batteries: Can cause a mess. Just wash/clean whatever is around the leakage. "Decontaminate" is a strong word. Do you have an excessive fear in this area? Peace and good health. ...Read more
I just realized the button battery in thermometer I've been using rectally on my toddler corroded. There was acid all inside. Will this hurt my child?
Amount outside?: Any leakage that was contained within the battery compartment and not reaching the probe surface should not be a problem. Such material might cause a surface burn on any skin touched if it was on the surface of the probe and used. ...Read more
F/u to a previous question. How long would it take a button battery to cause problems in toddler if ingested? Days, weeks, hours?
Hours: Button batteries can cause significant burns in the esophagus in as little as 2 hours. Ingestion of a button battery is an emergency that requires immediate evaluation. A significant burn from a button battery can be fatal, and unfortunately, I've seen it happen. If you even suspect a battery ingestion, go to the emergency room immediately. ...Read more
Yes: There are many toxic elements in a AAA battery -- you need to get him evaluated. ...Read more
Trying to understand. Button batteries are very toxic if ingested. If they are burning holes in tissue wouldn't you see bad symptoms a week post ingestion?
Button batteries: Are considered an emergency. There are several problems from toxicity to erosion through the side of the digestive tract. THese need to be removed immediately following ingeestion. ...Read more
If 2 yo swallowed disc battery 9 days ago would I see symptoms by now? No proof he did. He has a cough/cold from before that and some dk brown stool. Worry?
Confirm or??: The toxicity of a button battery varies with the location and the residual power left in the battery. Weaker batteries would take much longer than new ones to erode thru the gut and produce a catastrophic event. A simple xray of the gut could confirm its presence. Most would pass thru a kid in 3-5 days. I can screen for these in the office with a small metal detector from harbor freight. ...Read more
I'm not sure but I think my 15 mth old baby boy might have swallowed a AAA battery. The reason I think so is bc I caught him with my remote and a battery was missing! I kno he might need an xray but what im wondering is how easy would it be for him to pa
See doc now. Need XR: Swallowed batteries need immediate removal as they pass current through tissues which can lead to puncture of. Intestinal wall. ...Read more
2 yo has 2 small bruises on abdomen near hip bone. Worry? I ask b/c 2 weeks ago @ friends house he found and gave me button battery. Internal bleed?
Bruises: It may b.E normal to see bruising on an active 2 y/o on the anterior part of the legs, arms and hips. However, if he has not had his annual check up or if this persists even when there has been no trauma he should see his pediatrician to make sure there isn't anything more serious going on. ...Read more
Poison Control: Call 1-800-222-1222 24 hours per day, 7 days per week to reach any poison control center in the United States. You will be connected with an expert who will direct you how to proceed. Please have all product information available when you call. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- What would happen if adult swallow a button battery?
- What happen if you swallow a button battery?
- What if you swallow a button battery?
- What would happen if adult swallow a button barey?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a battery from a hearing aid?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a hearing aid battery?
- What would happen if and adult swallow a hearing aid battery?
- What if you swallow a button battery like a hearing aid?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a button battery?