Doctor insights on:
What Would Happen If You Accidentally Swallowed Small Pieces Of A Plastic Fork
Nothing: Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken. Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it. ...Read more
While eating with a plastic fork, I accidently bit off one of the sharp ends and swallowed it. Very small. Only like 3mm but it's sharp. Is this ok?
What to do if I accidentally swallowed small pieces of glass? Or plastic? I think it came from my blender? Eat bread and drink water and milk?
Think I accidentally swallowed small pieces of either glass or plastic? What do I do? Eat bread. ..Drink water and milk? Motrin? What would help?
Nothing.: Don't do anything. If symptoms such as bleeding or alarming symptoms develop go to the er. ...Read more
Asparagus: For most, a small piece will transit out without difficulty within 3-4 days. If you consume some asparagus, especially in the stringy soupy form, it will form a congeal around the foreign object and soften the edges. Little kids swallow all sorts of stuff and my pedi-surgeon friend used this to help avoid having to go find them surgically. ...Read more
Probably no worry: If he didn't choke on it and he just swallowed it than it should just pass without worry. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of Plastic off an icee wrapper trying to make a small whole what will happen Iam suppose to have a bypass in 3?
It shall pass too: As long as this is not causing a problem with your breathing it is not an emergency and it will get through the gastrointestinal tract without causing any internal damage. Take care. ...Read more
Two days ago, I swallowed a small piece of plastic which was broken from a fork I was using. Would it be harmful to my body? Would it get digested?
It could be: Harmful, as if it was sharp, it could have damaged your intestinal tract ranging from your esophagus all the way to your colon. But if it was a very small piece, more than likely it became encapsulated by your stool and at this point, you've likely already pooped it out. You can't digest plastic. At this point, you need to monitor for abdominal pain. If you develop pain reach out to your doc. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic (the end of a pen bit but not the nib) I swallowed it and can breathe fine but can feel it (no pain)?
Do not worry: If you swallowed it, not inhaled it, there is no reason to worry. It will come out of the other end on its own. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic that came off a tag on a sock & it been in my throats since Monday, I NEED HELP!!
ER: Go to ER they can check your throat visually or get the procedure done by an Ear Nose and Throat specialist. ...Read more
Accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic. I feel fine and didn't choke. Can this cause a disease or will I just poop it out and be fine?
What will happen if I accidently swallowed a piece of a plastic wrapper from a popsicle? How do I know that it is in my body system? Please help.
Watch for symptoms: When you swallow something that is small usually the body gets rid of it in your stools. However, if the object is significantly large it might cause intestinal obstruction which requires immediate evaluation. You might present with abdominal pain and difficulty passing stools. If you are presenting symptoms please consider going to the ED. ...Read more
I may have, not certain, swallowed a very small amount of plastic, it was not heated, from a TV Dinner?
Not to worry: While I don't recommend swallowing plastic, our bodies can not digest plastic, so it should harmlessly pass out of your body in your stools. It is possible a large amount could create problems by producing an obstruction, but I can't imagine a very small amount causing any trouble... ...Read more
I just swallowed a small peice of plastic that was on top of a pen lid, was about an inch long, should I be worried?
Likely will come out in stool, but to be certain f/u w/ urgent. Care, ER. Go immediately if pain. Plastic will be noted on X-ray so the can follow where it is. The article below discusses the issue (in children because they swallow objects). Of note when evaluating constipation there is a medical study that uses PVC markers. Do not worry.
http://www. Aafp. Org/afp/2005/0715/p287.htm ...Read more
I think I swallowed a small piece plastic (thats from the noodles) what can I do to make it go down or am I ok.? What should I do.?
Should be fine: This happens often. Don't be concerned. Bread bag ties have gotten trapped in the gut and been found years later. Smaller things pass easily. ...Read more
Usually not: If it made it to the stomach, it should eventually pass in the poo in a few days. If the kid can drink fluids without choking, it made it to the stomach. A pedi surgeon liked to feed the kids stewed okra because if forms a soft bond with the foreign object and helps it move through the gut without scraping the walls. ...Read more
Should pass: This object is small enough so it shouldn't get caught up in the gastrointestinal tract. I would expect passage rectally within a few days. Contact a physician if you experience discomfort in the chest or abdomen. Obviously the bb bypassed the respiratory tract. ...Read more
I swallowed a small plastic thing by accident from a clothing tag, that keeps the tag in place so it doesn't come of, what are the risks?
Probably: Small if the piece does not have sharo edges ir a hook. Keep your eyes wide open for any discomfort ...Read more
My 14 month old son swallowed 3/4 of an inch of plastic fork. He current has no breathing/swallowing problem, but this happened 2 hrs ago. What do I do?
Confusing question: You are not clear which end of the fork was swallowed, but do say the kid is now swallowing fine. This small piece could hang in the stomach exit and trigger vomiting or pass on through. A pedisurgeon advised feeding these kids stewed okra, which forms a gell around the sharp edges and helps propell the object trrough the gut. You could have him seen or feed him okra and wait to see what happens. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a fake plastic tongue piercing what do I do? Will it pass or what should I do? I still feel it going down very slow!
It should pass: It is most likely it will pass in the end. The only way you are going to know for sure is to look for it. An x-ray will show it if it still present but is probably overkill without symptoms. ...Read more
Will stomach acid dissolve a plastic ziplock type pouch? He accidentally swallowed the tiny plastic bag of candy that was meant to decorate a cookie.
Likely not: The bag is not that easily digested but a small one may well pass through without causing any obstruction. Need to take him to the ER if he starts vomiting and complains of severe abdominal cramps. ...Read more
I was chewing on a plastic dvd cover and I think that I swallowed a small piece of it and I got stuck in my throat?
Swallowing plastic: Go see your doctor. This is not the forum form to get the best possible help for your condition. ...Read more
About a hour ago, I accidentally swallowed a plastic turtle foot. I feel some pain between my chest and stomach. Help?
I swallowed a small round thin transparent piece of plastic a month ago. In the ER they took a cat scan; an ENT scoped 2x. They can't find it. Help!?
It should pass: This type of non-organic matter will likely pass through the entire digestive tract eventually without harm. ...Read more
2 yo - suspect he swallowed a small plastic toy, not positive. Woke up about 6 hrs later with a 101.5 temp, gas and says belly hurts. Related?
Could be: Need to see a doctor and possibly get X-rays to tell for sure. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed the bar part of my lip ring. It's plastic and it's stuck in my throat. I tried to force it down or force it out nothing works?
Please: Seek medical assistance.Get a more detailed answer ›
Q. Hi, I am almost 12 weeks pregnant and my food had tiny particles of plastic (by mistake) so I am worried; in case I accidentally swallowed some : (?
Don't worry too much: At the risk of sounding trite, 'this too shall pass.' as long as the particles were small and not any toxic material, they will pass out in a few days. Take care of your baby, eat well, don't smoke or drink, as your OB about medicines, and you will be fine! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- What happens if you swallow plastic fork?
- What would happen if you put a fork to far in your throat?
- What would happen if you swallowed a pound coin?
- What would happen if you swallow a shrimp tail?
- What would happen if you swallow a button battery?
- What would happen if you swallow a water cap?
- What would happen if you swallow a soda cap?
- What would happen if you swallow a shimp tail?
- Swallowed small pieces hard plastic