Doctor insights on:
What Would Happen If A Adult Swallow A Button Battery
Probably nothing: If it were a single magnetic ball, it would pass "in the end." the real problem might occur if one or more such balls were swallowed. They could stick to one another within the lining of the digestive tract and cause a necrosis of the gut at the point where they have attracted/adhered to one another. ...Read more
Confused. So, if a baby swallowed a toxic button battery that burnt holes in GI tract, how would it be possible to not see symptoms 1 wk post ingestion?
Not that common: Button batteries are bad because the electric current does cause chemical burns in the GI tract. However, it usually only happens if the button is stuck somewhere. If a button keeps moving around and eventually out the anus, there may be no symptoms. Batteries that don't get stuck in the esophagus (and cause burns) usually pass through without burning any holes, but doctors do follow-up carefully. ...Read more
So then what would happen if your child ingested a button battery and it wasn't witnessed. How soon would you most likely see symptoms? Scares me!
Don't wait: Onset of symptoms can vary by battery type/size. If likelihood is high that battery was ingested then er for x-ray is advised. ...Read more
Dangerous: Depending on the amount, this is a potentially deadly situation. It should be treated as an emergency. ...Read more
Caustic : Battery ingestion should always be evaluated on an emergency basis. The battery leakage results in caustic injury and possible death. In addition the size alone could cause a blockage. ...Read more
Could an ingested button battery in a baby go unnoticed for a week or longer without any sx? This didn't happen. Just trying to educate family.
Yes: Depends on the progression , location and size of the button battery. Could remain in GI tract for long without symptoms. ...Read more
If a small vsd was causing a murmur in an adult, would an echo likely pick it up? As in, if you can hear it, it would see it?
Pain AND BLEEDING: Left upper quadrant and left shoulder pain probably present, due to bleeding. It depends on the extent of injury whether surgery is needed. Bedrest and observation under medical care necessary until stable. Unstable or continuous bleeding requires surgery and removal of spleen. After splenectomy, then vaccines for some bacteria would be necessary. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
If : If your child is in pain, has difficulty breathing, or cannot swallow you have an acute emergency. If your child is not having any respiratory difficulty, can swallow food, and has no pain the coin has probably passed to the stomach and watchful waiting is indicated. You should check stools for several days. Most coins up to the size of a nickel will pass in the stool over no more than five days. During that interval any abdominal pain, swelling, or vomiting may indicate intestinal obstruction by the coin and should be considered an emergency. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
So if a baby ingested a small button battery and it stuck wouldn't it produce severe signs/sx if it were damaging tissues by a week post ingestion?
Yes, but: Small button batteries can be extremely toxic. They may not produce significant symptoms until it is "too late". I would recommend that your baby be evaluated by a pediatrician and consideration be given to an x-ray to make sure that the button battery is not stuck somewhere. ...Read more
Out of curiosity. If I have a reaction to an earings mettle in an old ear piercing what is the worst that can happen? It cant close up right?
Hospital: Go to the ER you need an xray if it is the standard steel needle it will show up on xray. If you did swallow one and did nothing there is a risk of puncturing your stomach or bowels. ...Read more
No: No they cannot. Why would you even think they would? Why would you ever eat them? ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What would happen if adult swallow a button barey?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a battery from a hearing aid?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a hearing aid battery?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What happen if you swallow a button battery?
- What if you swallow a button battery?
- What if you swallow a button battery like a hearing aid?
- What would happen if you swallowed a pound coin?
- What would happen if adult swallow a button battery?