Doctor insights on:
What Typically Can Go Wrong During Dialysis
Simple answer is that it is a medical technology used primarily to provide an artificial replacement for lost kidney function in people with renal failure. Hemodialysis remove wastes and excess water from the blood by circulating blood outside the body through an external filter, called a dialyzer. Blood and dialysate flow through in opposite directions and the ...Read more
Watch for...: While I am not a nephrologist i understand that you should look for a falling crit line, severe pain, or a pink hue to the filtrate. There may be acute hypertension, shortness of breath, and generalized redness of the skin. All of these are indications that action should be taken immediately to remedy the situation. ...Read more
Irritation: The skin over the shunt may be itching in reaction to irritation from adhesive from tape or from the topical antiseptic used on clean the shunt prior to use. If there is any redness or signs of irritation, see a dermatologist for topical treatment. ...Read more
Concentrations: Concentrations of waste are zero in the dialysis fluid. Combined with the glucose and other substances in the dialysis fluid "drags" waste and water out of the blood and changing the bags as has been prescribed by your kidney doctor results in less waste and water in the body. It's all based on the behavior of fluids and physical chemistry. Great question! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Things that can go wrong during lumbar puncture
- What can go wrong with a deep tissue massage?
- Can you get a lazy eye if something goes wrong during an eyebrow piercing?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What food or drinks can help make my heartburn pain go away?
- Can you clean your ears with hydrogen peroxide what if it goes down into them?
- What is the longest time you can go before you start showing signs of pregnancy?
- What safe sedatives can you take for insomnia during pregnancy?
- Talk to a nephrologist online for free