Doctor insights on:
What Types Of Things Does A Barium Swallow Detect
Barium is a chemical element with symbol ba and atomic number 56. It is the fifth element in group 2, a soft silvery metallic alkaline earth metal. Because of its high chemical reactivity barium is never found in nature as a free element. Its hydroxide was known in pre-modern history as baryta; this substance does not occur as a mineral, but can be prepared ...Read more
Many things: In some circles barium swallow includes just throat/pharynx. Sometimes includes pharynx and esophagus. Pharynx examination looks for dysmotility, oropharyngeal coordination, aspiration of barium into airway, and possible obstruction to movement of barium column. Evaluation of esophagus shows dysmotility, irritability from gastroesoph. reflux, stricture, infection, diverticulum etc. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Occasionally: For the most part, the fluoroscopic screen is aimed at viewing the esophagus and not other parts of the chest. But with a change in your position, we may see some lung findings ...Read more
I have been having issues swallowing solids and semi solids. Will they make me swallow food at the modified barium swallow? Or can they detect withou
Need to try: You should try to eat the foods, otherwise the test might not provide the answers your doctor needs. Don't worry, they will start off with small amounts, and then vary it as you are able to tolerate. ...Read more
Yes: One of the easiest ways of performing laryngoscopy is with a flexible scope which is a long narrow tube with lenses contained within which is past down the nostril after utilizing a topical anesthetic spray. One can easily visualize the nasopharynx, full larynx, oro pharynx and pass behind the larynx to the piriform sinuses on each side where even early pathology can be defined. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What types of diseases does a barium swallow detect?
- What kind of conditions does a hemoglobin test detect?
- What does my weird dream mean is having strange dreams a type of sleep disorder?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does nuclear medicine mean what types of things do the doctors do?
- What level of hcg does a pregnancy test detect?
- What does a cpk of 240 mean?
- What does a brown spot on my white part of the eye mean?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free