Doctor insights on:
What Triggers Cold Sore Breakouts
I understand that Valtrex is MOST effective at the first sign of a breakout, but is taking it after a cold sore erupts effective at all? Thanks!
Having breakouts along my lip line. Do not tingle like a cold sore, but throb like chapped lips. Have taken 2 gm valtrex, no relief. Have picture.
My cold sore erupted whilst eating a chinese takeaway - no advance warning. i thought i'd cut my lip . but no. has an allergy triggered it? instantly
No: Cold sore is caused by virus; herpes virus, a virus from same family of chicken pox, genital herpes and shingles. Cold sore usually go away without treatment. But if very painful, antiviral treatment may help reduce the duration of symptoms if started within 24 hrs ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I bit the outside of my lip where I always get my cold sores. And now I have a bump in that area. Could I have triggered a cold sore? Or just trauma?
It could be either: one, need to see a doctor for diagnosis ...Read more
Had hsv1 since childhood however I never had a cold sore/outbreak. is it safe for me to get a chemical peel or would it trigger an outbreak?
Probably safe but...: Many clinicians who do surgery on or near the face (ENT specialists, ophthalmologists, plastic surgeons) routinely treat their HSV1 infected patients with an anti-HSV drug like acyclovir or valacyclovir around the time of surgery to reduce the chance of reactivating the infection. The drugs are harmless, so why not? Talk to your doctor about it. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is difference cold sore vs fever blister?
- What causes cold sore under my nose?
- What happens if you pop a cold sore?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does the beginning of a cold sore look like?
- What does the start of a cold sore look like?
- What to do when you feel a cold sore coming?
- What does a healing cold sore look like?
- Talk to a dermatologist online