Doctor insights on:
What To Expect After Dilation And Curettage
You don't.: Older dictum was to wait for 3-6 months after a miscarriage before resuming sexual activity. More recent studies show that women who wait have lower fertility rates than women who don't. So, if you are trying to get pregnant, you can determine when you feel ready to resume sexual activity. Take Folic Acid 1-5 mg daily to prevent preterm birth, neural tube and cardiac anomalies in your offspring! ...Read more
Dilatation and Curettage, known as a D and C, is a common procedure where the cervix is dilated and the doctor will clear the uterus of pregnancy tissue. It can be performed in the office or in an outpatient procedure center. It is done under sedation ...Read more
3 months: 3 months is standard.Get a more detailed answer ›
How soon can you become pregnant after dilation and curettage? How soon will your body start releasing eggs again?
Mild cramping: There will be mild cramping and perhaps some residual bleeding post-op. The cervix will be open after dilation and therefore there is a slight risk for infection if there are "visitors" in the vagina during the first post-op week. It was once considered a "minor " surgery, but of course "minor surgery" is what happens to someone else. ...Read more
2-4 weeks at least.: Once 2-4 weeks have passed there are no restrictions to your activity. ...Read more
10-20 minutes: It takes longer to prepare than to do. Once you've received a light anesthetic (or local injection) it's under 5 minutes to measure the length of the cervix and dilate it. The curettage part takes another 3-5 minutes. If it's not pregnancy related, a camera (hysteroscopy) can be used to visualize the uterine cavity and this part can more than double the amount of time. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What to expect after a dilation and curettage?
- What to expect before and after laparoscopic total large bowel resection surgery?
- What to expect after a colonoscopy and endoscopy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What can i do to get rid of pain and swelling after getting a lip piercing?
- What to expect after passing a kidney stone?
- What to expect after colon resection surgery?
- What to expect after hiatal hernia surgery?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free