Doctor insights on:
What Should You Do After Being Exposed To Shingles
Shingles: The people at risk from direct contact with active shingles are those who never had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine . In those cases exposure to shingles may lead to an outbreak of chicken pox , pregnant women and children are especially at risk in these cases. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Shingles (Herpes Zoster) (Definition)
Shingles is a painful blistering skin rash caused by the chickenpox virus (varicella zoster). Early treatment with antiviral medication (within 72 hours) lowers the risk of post herpetic neuralgia, which is lingering skin pain after the rash disappears. ...Read more
Herpes zoster: Shingles (also known as herpes zoster) is an infection caused by the chicken pox virus. Those who had chicken pox previously recovered from the disease, but never got rid of the virus where it was dormant until the shingles outbreak. Treatments (and a vaccine) are available; see your doctor for more information. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Rash: Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes the chicken pox. The virus remains inactive in your body and becomes active again years later. The patient has pain/tingling/burning in a very specific area on one half of the body (dermatome-see picture). A rash appears in the same area. Someone with these symptoms should see their physician right away to get started on treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Herpes zoster: Shingles (herpes zoster) is reactivation of the varicella zoster (chickenpox virus), which lives in your nerve cells after you've had chickenpox. It causes painful blisters on a red rash that occur in a linear band on one side of the body. Early treatment speeds recovery. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How do you cleanse your system after being exposed to heavy pollution?
- Being exposed to shingles while pregnant
- What to do if you are exposed to salmonella?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long after being exposed to flu do symptoms show?
- What to do if you ve been exposed to asbestos?
- What should you do after a hysterecomy?
- How to avoid getting the flu after being exposed?
- Talk to a dermatologist online