Doctor insights on:
Recovering From Gallbladder Surgery
Some pain: Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, or gallbladder removal, should result in abdominal pain perhaps for 3-5 days after surgery. Pain pills help here. Some people have changes in bowel habits for the first month or so after the procedure, either loose stools or constipation. Long term changes are rare. Diet changes are not required, but a well-balanced aha diet is always recommended. ...Read more
Seven months after may gallbladder surgery I am getting pain where the gallbladder used to be. Can you tell me about it?
Possible adhesion: most abdominal pain is visceral in origin, where swelling or twisting of intestine causes this symptom. Post GB, a surgical bed may not have healed before adhesions developed which could then cause, twisting and partial GI blockage. A CAT scan should reveal if this surgical site is the cause of the symptoms or it is due to another factor. ...Read more
Usually: Some gallbladder surgery is done for less than clear indications - as a last resort to fixing pains that can't be explained. These kinds of cases have about 15-20% risk that they will not "cure" the problem - even if perfect surgery is performed for you! if you don't fit that category, pain usually subsides and resolves within a few weeks. ...Read more
Next day: If the surgery went without complications and person does not have significant discomfort and he needs to fly, there are no contraindications. If you can easily delay the flight it is always wise to be close to the surgeon who performed the surgery. ...Read more
Gall bladder: This is not common. Talk to your surgeon please. ...Read more
WELL TOLERATED: Gallbladder surgery is almost always done laparoscopically, and is usually as an outpatient. General anesthesia is required. There will be 3-4 small puncture wounds. Some sites may offer a single, slightly larger, site approach. Regardless, you should be back to full activity in 5-10 days. Some post-op soreness. Once you are fully awake there's no dietary restrictions. Good luck. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What warning sign should i look out for after gallbladder surgery?
- What danger signs should i look for after gallbladder surgery?
- How long should i be sore after gallbladder surgery?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What can i expect after carpal tunnel surgery?
- What should i avoid eating before and after an open heart surgery?
- How much pain should i expect to be in after getting spinal fusion surgery?
- What should i expect after taking the abortion pill?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free