Doctor insights on:
What Should I Do If My Baby Is Not Burping
Don't panic: Some babies just don't burp. But, first make sure that you are giving them the opportunity to burp. Try different positions with gentle back massage/tapping to encourage the air to "rise up": on your chest while you are in a sitting position, and also lying across your your lap. If your child doesn't burp and is otherwise happy and comfortable, then don't sweat it...The gas will come from below. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Don't Panic!: I have seen many a new parent drive themselves crazy trying to "get a burp" out of their baby. If the baby has swallowed excess air, he/she will usually burp shortly after feeding, especially when put in a more upright position. But, if there is no burp, don't panic! worst case, baby may spit up....Nothing more dangerous or uncomfortable than that. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
It can vary: It is impossible to tell how many taps it may take to make a baby burp. ...Read more
Find what works : There are many ways. From putting the baby in your shoulder to sitting him on your lap and pat his back. Mid feed or post feed, the important thing is finding what works for you and your baby. Breastfed infants tend to burp less than bottle fed babies. If your baby has not belched after five minutes of trying you may want to let the baby sit at a 45 degree angle for several minutes. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Assume the need: All infants swallow air of variable amounts during feeding. An infant may slow the feed or squirm as they feel bloated, if so gently place them in a burp position & let them. Some burp easily & some never seem to burp. I only work hard on burping if they tend to wet burp a lot. If they feed well enough to grow normally, i wouldn't worry about the burpless infants. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What should i do if my baby is throwing up blood?
- What should i do if my baby is ocnstipated?
- What should i do if my baby is running a fever of 1011?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What should i do if my baby does not like the new foods i am having him try?
- What should i do if i think my baby is having a tet spell?
- What should i do if one of my babies eyes is yellow?
- What should i do if my baby is too young for a flu shot?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online