Doctor insights on:
What Patient Conditions Require Immediate Cardioversion
Developed arythmia 18 months ago. Didn't have insurance at the time, so I let it go. Was still able to run, play soccer, swim. My Prime care physician recommended cardioversion....but that failed twice. Finally, Oct 1st of 2014, I had a 6 1/2 hour ablatio
Sir i m patient of af . Medical cardioversion was done on 22/7/12. Now i m fine but some times i feel disturbance of heart beat which continue for hrs?
Complex: I'm assuming you are referring to cardioversion for af. The benefits of cardioversion are the restoration of normal rhythm. The risks are: (1) stroke (must be anticoagulated before the procedure) (2) won't work (many patients will go back into af either immediately or over time; meds may help this) (3) pain (short, general anesthesia is usually used). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Effective: If the patient is an appropriate candidate: symptomatic, af unresolvable by medication only, other medical factors the cardiologist will consider, then yes, cardioversion is effective for regaining normal sinus rhythm. Like all therapies, it is not 100% effective and must be evaluated for each individual patient. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
A stroke: There is a risk of a clot getting loose from the heart and if it travels to the brain, a stroke could develop. As medications used for anesthesia are rather short lived it would be unlikely that the medication would cause the mental status change except very transiently. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What eye conditions require you to be prescribed sunglasses?
- What are the common causes of joint pain in a 25 year old patient?
- What are the differences between asynchronous and synchronous cardioversion?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the concerns of tooth extraction in a lupus patient?
- What is the survival rate of patients with anaplastic astrocytoma?
- What protein shakes are okay for kidney transplant patients?
- What can patients do to change the levels of ldl hdl in their blood?
- Talk to a cardiologist online