Doctor insights on:
What Organs Are In The Respiratory System
Get oxygen to blood: Respiration is the process of bringing oxygen into the lungs and exhaling carbon dioxide out of them. Once inside the lungs, the oxygen crosses cell membranes to get into the blood stream. The blood circulates the oxygen to the rest of the body including the brain which cannot function without it. Carbon dioxide is the waste product of well functioning cells and is also carried back by the blood. ...Read more
Lungs: The lungs are vital to our breathing. There are many ways to diagnose problems with them and to treat the problems. See you physicain for a diagnosis and treatment plan. ...Read more
Interesting !?: Starting from the top: the lips, mouth, throat. trachea, larynx, right and left main stem bronchi, smaller bronchial passages and the tiny alveoli (where oxygen & carbon dioxide are exchanged) and the pulmonary vessels are all part of the respiratory system One of its most remarkable aspects is its ability to make speech and other sounds. There's no other like it in the animal kingdom. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Many tests: Depending on the symptom, there are several tests to evaluate the respiratory system. A chest xray can be very instructive initially on lung structure. Pulmonary function tests (pft) tests different functional parts of the respiratory system. A chest ct can look more carefully at the tissue, blood vessels, and airways of the lung and chest. Sometimes, cardiopulmonary stress testing is helpful. ...Read more
Keep air sacs open: Surfactants, which are made by the body and are also available as a medication for babies who are deficient in them (usually premie), coat the inside of the tiny air sacs in the lung and keep them open when you exhale. Just like a collapsed balloon is hard to inflate, a collapsed air sac is hard to open. When it doesn't close completely, it's easier to open with the next breath. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How many organs are in the respiratory system?
- What organs are involved in the nervous system?
- What human body organs are located in the epigastric region?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What organs make up the respiratory system?
- What do the circulatory system and the respiratory system have in common?
- What are the parts of the respiratory system and their function?
- What does the larynx do in the respiratory system?
- Talk to a pulmonologist online for free