Doctor insights on:
What Movements Are Contraindicated Following A Total Hip Replacement
Total hip replacement: surgery in which the diseased ball and socket of the hip joint are completely removed and replaced with artificial materials. A metal ball with a stem (a prosthesis) is inserted into the femur (thigh bone) and an artificial plastic cup socket is placed in the acetabulum (a "cup-shaped" ...Read more
No, quality affected: Total hip replacement is not a contraindication for MRI. However, the metal in the prosthesis can significantly degrade the images, especially directly around the prosthesis. If the pathology of interest is far away from the hip, it may not matter. If it is close to the joint it will. Titianium and Cobalt-Chrome have much less problem than other metals. ...Read more
Nerve: Depending on the surgical approach there are several nerves that are at risk. In posterior approaches the sciatic nerve can be damaged or stretched. In the anterior approach the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve and the femoral nerve are at risk. If a nerve is injured it can recover but in some cases it can be permanent. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
It depends...: Early movement restrictions are based on the surgical method used. Extreme positions need to be avoided in the first 6 weeks no matter what. If an anterior approach is used, hyperextension combined with rotating the foot outward can be a problem. If a posterior approach is used, the risky move is hip flexion (bringing hip up to chest) combined with internal rotation. Eventually, most are safe. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: Longevity of hip replacements depend on patient factors such as activity and weight, surgeon factors such as the accuracy of implantation, and implant factors. European registry data suggest that greater than 85% of hips will still be working well at 15 yrs after implantation. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What sex positions are safe to do with a recent hip replacement?
- What is the difference between a partial and total hip replacement?
- What is the physical therapy protocol in treatment of a total hip replacement?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the chances of someone dying while having a hip replacement?
- What is the natural inflammation for when you get a total hip replacement?
- Will my grandma survive a 2nd hip replacement what are the statistics
- What is the pain is involved when having a total hip replacement operation?
- Talk to a orthopedic reconstructive surgeon online for free