Doctor insights on:
What Materials Are Artificial Joints Made Of
Yes?: Artificial joints only act as resurfacings for arthritic joints. Therefore, ligaments, muscles, and nerve endings are preserved. So, if the joint is irritated, unstable, or inflammed then the usual response of pain and swelling ensues. So, an artificial joint can become symptomatic like any native joint. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No deal that I know : No connection that I am aware of. ...Read more
Immune system: Transplants from other people will invariably trigger rejection reaction on the part of the recipient due to difference in the antigen make up between the donor and the recipient. Artificial joints are made out of metal and contain no protein and hence no antigen stimulation will occur. This doesn't necessitate life long immunosuppression as in transplant surgeries. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Ability for repair: The difference really comes down to wear. While the native joint has some ability to repair itself, an artificial joint doesn't. How long an artificial joint lasts is determined by many factors, but eventually comes down to plastic wear. Every single step caused wear particles to form and eventually these will cause the knee to fail. Depending on other factors that can take 5-30 years. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Total Joints: It depends on the joint that was inserted. The most common are Hip and Knee. As the materials improve the longevity has also improved. Its not uncommon to get 20 years out of a well placed total joint these days. The literature says there is a 1% chance of failure for each year the joint is in. So 100% will fail at 100 years. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are artificial nails made from?
- What materials made out of metal are recycled?
- What sort of problem is joint replacement with an artificial joint?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the best artificial knee joint available for today?
- Artificial joint
- What is the reason that natural body joints last longer than artificial joints?
- What is an artificial pacemaker?
- What materials are pacemakers made of?