Doctor insights on:
What Leads To A Rhythmic Movement Disorder
I am 40yrs old and suffer from rhythmic movement disorder for over 30 yrs. It is starting to really interfere with my life and sleep. Any advise?
RMD: I don't know what you've tried. Trials of tricyclics or benzodiazepines can be helpful. Behavioral therapy and hypnosis have also proven helpful and CPAP in cases where sleep apnea is present. The Requip class of meds has not been shown to offer any relief. I hope this helps. Seeing a sleep specialist with a neurological or psychiatric background is likely to be most helpful. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
ClassicPsychoSomatic: meaning mind-body; always inseparable, though many, esp. physicians, choose to believe that they are separable because, though fundamental to all of life, underlying human/mind issues considered too complex &/or threatening. Study: https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/care-centers/parkinsons/conditions/psychogenic-movement-disorders for small introduction & focus on issues/situations which FMD changes. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Exercise: Yes, depending on muscles involved & location of defect. ...Read more
Non-specific: A doctor can make such a diagnosis but will want to know more about what is causing it, where in the nervous system is it located, what does it resemble, etc, and thus how to treat it. We start with history and examination then get tests for a more specific diagnosis. Treatment and response are best when the diagnosis is correct. ...Read more
I have a movement disorder which occurs only when I'm excited or surprised. When it occurs, i have no control over some parts of my body?advice pls?
Stereotypic movement: The outlook depends on the cause. If its due to drug use they usually go away with stopping drugs. Long term stimulant abuse may lead to longer periods of movement. If they are due to head injury they may be permanent. The movements usually do not progress to other disorders. They may cause difficulty with normal social functioning. Hope this helps. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What can i take to help me have a bowel movement more than two times a week?
- What precautions do i have to take with a blood clot disorder when pregnant?
- What happens to a person with a narcissistic personality disorder over time?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What can i do for my body dysmorphic disorder without going to a doctor?
- What to take to have a bowel movement?
- What of types of prescription drungs can be used to treat a thought disorder?
- What happens to people with stereotypic movement disorder?
- Talk to a neurologist online