Doctor insights on:
What Kind Of Condition Is Dropsy
Swelling: Dropsy is an older term for swelling, which represents salt and water retention and which may occur in the lungs and/or legs. It is most commonly a result of heart or kidney failure, but could also be a manifestation of inadquate venous or lymphatic function. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Old term: Dropsy is an outdated term that means swelling of the soft tissues. Probably equivalent to the term edema used today. Edema can be from heart failure , protien calorie malnutrion , thyroid disease, inflamation etc. So without knowing the cause of your edema , can't really give a prognosis. ...Read more
Clinical diagnosis: Dropsy, excessive accumulation of fluid in the tissues is a clinical diagnosis. If you press the skin, on a bone, with your thumb for about 30 seconds and if it leaves a depression, that is the usual test for dropsy. Additional tests are needed to determine the cause which may be diseases of heart, kidney, liver or intestine. ...Read more
Edema: Dropsy is an old term which refers to excess fluid in the tissues, i.e. Edema. There are many causes of edema. Edema can be due to serious conditions (heart failure, kidney failure, liver failure, lymphatic obstruction); but mild degrees of edema can be a common occurrence in women with premenstrual bloat, or after a prolonged immobilization (long plane flight). ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What kind of condition is dermatomyositis?
- What kind of condition is depression?
- What kind of condition is dermatosclerosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What kind of condition is diverticulosis and diverticulitis?
- What kind of condition is being a disabled person?
- What kind of condition is social skills developmental delay?
- What kind of condition is diabetic eye problems?
- Talk to a cardiologist online