Doctor insights on:
What Is This White Spot On My Toddler Tongue
My 2 year old child has several tiny white spots on the tongue and all over the throat. What are they?
Possible "thrush": On the surface, it sounds like thrush, a yeast infection in the mouth.Yeast lives normally on body surfaces but multiplies in warm, moist areas. It's common in infants but less common in toddlers, so i suggest seeing his/her doctor to make sure that's what it is. Recent antibiotics recently it can make it more likely; there are other less common medical reasons; if it is yeast there is treatment. ...Read more
Petechia: A "blood spot" on the tongue could be a petechia which can be caused by some medications or by injury(biting) it is an accumulation of blood. If this spot is under the tongue it could be a varicose vein(the return blood flow is prevented and the vein accumulate blood). ...Read more
Black Tongue: Black tongue can be an overgrowth of the little hairy papillae on the tongue and isn't harmful. You can scrub the spot with a soft baby toothbrush twice daily & it should go away. (also, think if you have given anything that could stain the tongue--iron drops, pepto bismal, metal teether). ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is this white spot on my tongue?
- White spot on the side of my tongue
- White spot under my tongue
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- My baby has a white spot on his tongue
- I have a white spot on my tongue
- I have a white spot on my tongue that hurts
- Could a white spot on the side of my tongue be a cancer
- Talk to a pediatrician online