Doctor insights on:
What Is The Scientific Name Of The Organism That Causes Hepatitis C
Hepatitis c is a virus that replicates (makes copies of itself) in the human liver. People can be infected by exposure to even very small amounts of blood. Over 20 to 40 years it can cause scarring of the liver, and severe scarring is called cirrhosis. People can be tested for exposure with an antibody test. If that is positive, they need a test for the virus itself ...Read more
Absolutely: Hepatitis c is the number one reason people need a liver transplant in the us. It is estimated that about a third of people with hepatitis c will eventually develop severe liver damage. But it can take 20 to 40 years for cirrhosis to develop. The most important things to do are to stop drinking alcohol and discuss your need for treatment, taking into account all the new drugs in development. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Immune deficiency: If you are asking whether this acts like hiv, the answer is no. Patients who have developed severe liver disease from hep c may be more prone to some forms of infection and secondary malignancy, but not aware of a specific immune function which is inhibited by this virus. ...Read more
My 49 yr old son first became aware of high alt#'s in 2008. Tests have ruled out hepatitis c, cirrhosis, and a tumor. What else could cause this?
Some ideas: We want to rule out hemochromatosis first and foremost. Wilson's may still be a consideration even at his age. Autoimmune hepatitis is less likely, and antitrypsin deficiency less treatable, both could be tested for. I trust he did not drink or take any meds including Ibuprofen during the workup. Most likely is metabolic syndrome with a rx for aerobic fitness. ...Read more
Hep C: Most Hep C is caused by blood exchange such as transfusions or contaminated needles (IV drug use). Infection through mucous membranes can occur but is less frequent. There is also vertical transmission - mother to child through delivery (2%). Although infrequent, tattooing and breast feeding, can also spread Hep C. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
1. An individual form of life, such as a plant, animal, bacterium, protist, or fungus; a body made up of organs, organelles, or other parts that work together to carry on the various processes of life. 2. A system regarded as analogous in its structure or functions to a living ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the scientific name of the organism that causes hepatitis b?
- What organism causes hepatitis b?
- Hepatitis b scientific name
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the causes of hepatitis c?
- Is there a name of the organism that causes meningococcal disease?
- What is the scientific name for hyperthyroidism?
- What is the scientific name for listeria?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online