Doctor insights on:
What Is The Relationship Between Alcohol And Liver Disease
It's one cause of it: Liver damage is rarely seen with 1-2 drinks per day (14/week), and goes up significantly with higher amounts. There are genetic predispositions to alcohol-induced cirrhosis, and people with hepatitis c are far more sensitive to alcohol, and should not drink at all. Alcohol damages far more than the liver, and again people differ in their sensitivities to these damages. Talk to md if concerned. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
This organ plays a major role in metabolism and has a number of functions in the body, including glycogen storage, decomposition of red blood cells, plasma protein synthesis, hormone production, and detoxification. It lies below the diaphragm in the abdominal-pelvic region of the abdomen. It produces bile, an alkaline compound which aids in digestion via the emulsification of ...Read more
Liver Diseases: This is a good question. The common causes of liver disease are 1. Fatty infiltrates from obesity and excess sugars 2. Infection, most commonly with hepatitis b and c. 3. Toxic side effects of prescription and non-prescription medications (especially tylenol). Hope that helps. ...Read more
Progressive fibrosis: The liver becomes progressively more fibrotic and functions imperfectly. Fluid accumulates in the abdomen and other organs become affected in late stages, such as the lungs and kidneys. Early changes may be reversible with alcohol abstinence but once into late stages the changes are not reversible. ...Read more
Yes and no: If liver disease is caused by alcohol and damage is still reversible, yes. Sometimes, if cirrhosis is severe enough, nothing will reverse it, and only treatment is transplant. If liver disease is caused by viral hepatitis, fatty liver, or any other cause, probably not. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the relationship between anti perspirant deodorants and kidney disease?
- What is the relationship between fast food and heart disease?
- What is the relationship between cholesterol and heart disease?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the difference between multicystic kidneys and polycystic kidney disease?
- What is the relationship between an enlarged spleen and anemia?
- What is the relationship between allergy and cold sores?
- What is the difference between hyperthyroidism and graves disease?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free