Doctor insights on:
What Is The Reason That Natural Body Joints Last Longer Than Artificial Joints
Ability for repair: The difference really comes down to wear. While the native joint has some ability to repair itself, an artificial joint doesn't. How long an artificial joint lasts is determined by many factors, but eventually comes down to plastic wear. Every single step caused wear particles to form and eventually these will cause the knee to fail. Depending on other factors that can take 5-30 years. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Total Joints: It depends on the joint that was inserted. The most common are Hip and Knee. As the materials improve the longevity has also improved. Its not uncommon to get 20 years out of a well placed total joint these days. The literature says there is a 1% chance of failure for each year the joint is in. So 100% will fail at 100 years. ...Read more
I have had two neck surgeries in 3 years - fusion c4-5, artificial joint (c2-3) and and cage/hip graft c5-6. Last 24 hours, severe quad twitch/spasm ?
Hard to say: Multiple potential causes of pain and spasm in your "quad". Presumably you mean in your quadriceps, which is in your leg? Usually would be related to the area itself, or a referred or radicular pain which could potentially be related to the back. As high as 20 percent of patients with neck problems can develop similar problems in the back. Don't hesitate to be seen. ...Read more
Yes?: Artificial joints only act as resurfacings for arthritic joints. Therefore, ligaments, muscles, and nerve endings are preserved. So, if the joint is irritated, unstable, or inflammed then the usual response of pain and swelling ensues. So, an artificial joint can become symptomatic like any native joint. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What materials are artificial joints made of?
- Reasons for period lasting longer than normal
- Period last longer than 2 weeks
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What sort of problem is joint replacement with an artificial joint?
- What are the advantages of using artificial joints over transplants?
- What is the best artificial knee joint available for today?
- What are the reasons for knee joint pain?
- Period last longer than usual