Doctor insights on:
What Is The Rate Of Survival With A Wilms Tumor
"tumor" literally translates as "mass", so even a fresh bruise could be called a "tumor". Doctors use the term "neoplasm" (tranlates literally as new growth) to describe tumors that are abnormal growths of cells. These may be benign or malignant; "malignant" = cancer. In everyday usage, we use "tumor" ...Read more
Rapidly improving!: In 1900, virtually no child diagnosed with wilm's tumor survived. Between then and the mid-1950s survival improved to about 50% due to improved surgery and routine radiation. At that time vincristine and actinomycin were found to be effective chemo drugs for this tumor; by 1965 2-year survival was improved to 80%. Today over 90% of children with wilm's tumor are cured. ...Read more
Wilma: in 1960 the survival rate for favorable histology was 54 percent by 1965 it went upto 81 percent and currently is close to 99 percent and between 83 percent and 55 percent in the unfavorable histology group ...Read more
Depends on Stage: Wilms tumor survival rate depends on stage and biological characteristics of the tumor. It is a pediatric tumor, though some adults can be diagnosed with it (rare). Overall, the prognosis is very good for most (>90% cure). However, if the tumor has "diffuse anaplasia" and has spread, survival rate is lower (~45%). http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/wilms/healthprofessional/page5. ...Read more
1-4: This is a simple breakdown-- stage 1-limited to kidney stage 2- outside the kidney stage 3-residual tumor after removal of the kidney inside the abdomen stage 4-metastasis to liver, lung, brain or other regions for more details you can go to: http://www.Cancer.Gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/wilms/healthprofessional/page3. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the survival rate of patients with anaplastic astrocytoma?
- What is the survival rate of patients with brain stem gliomas?
- Adult fibrosarcoma survival rate
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the average life expectancy of a person with cardiomyopathy?
- What are the risks of turning a baby that is breech with a anterior placenta?
- What is the life expectancy of someone with advanced lymphoma just a few months?
- I woke up yesterday with a yellowish secretion at the tip of my penis what is it
- Talk to a pediatrician online