Doctor insights on:
What Is The Rate Of Survival For People Who Develop Septic Shock
Shock is a condition in which a person cannot circulate enough blood (carrying oxygen & nutrients) to the vital organs in the body. If shock persists, various parts of the body will stop working, and the person will die. Causes of shock include injuries, excessive bleeding, heart failure, infections, chemical imbalances, ...Read more
4 year old girl with streptococcus pneumonia with septic shock. What is the survival chance ? Blood transfusions , glucose levels high 300s, low potas
Pneumococ. pneumonia: I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's critical illness. The mortality rate in septic shock is very high but let me give you some pointers about the condition. My search (chest. 2004;126(1) tells me that septic shock occurring within 24 hrs of admission is worse but has 63% chance of recovery compared to 88% if onset was after 24 hrs. We need lots of prayers and hope for her recovery. ...Read more
Many things: There has been a lot of research on this topic and most hospitals now have a sepsis protocol. Most importantly, appropriate antibiotics need to be given in a timely manner, usually in the er, and there is IV fluid resuscitation, pressors - drips to increase the blood pressure, and respiratory and other support when needed. There are guidelines on how to monitor the patients and manage all of this. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Septic shock: Septic shock is a clinical diagnosis. Recovery of an infectious organism, typically bacterial although other organisms are possible, helps to confirm the diagnosis although this takes time- sometimes days or longer. There are a number of tests that clinicians use to help initially make a diagnosis and to guide therapy, although the history and physical examination are of great importance. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Septic shock survival rate
- What is the survival rate of people who have asterosytomas in the brain?
- What is the survival of someone with pancreatitis who develops ards?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Develops septic shock liver abscess ruptures survive
- What are the consequences of having maternal septic shock?
- What is the difference between sepsis and septic shock?
- What is the difference between septic shock toxic shock syndrome?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online