Doctor insights on:
What Is The Problem With Eating Alfalfa Sprouts
Good stuff...: One cup of alfalfa sprouts is only 8 calories. It has 0.6 grams of dietary fiber. Alfalfa sprouts contain l-cavanine which could potentially cause a person with lupus to flare. There have been reports of incidents of contamination of alfalfa sprouts w e.Coli, listeria & salmonella. It may reduce effectiveness of blood thinning agents & estrogenic activity might impact hormone therapies. ...Read more
TheJoyOfSoyForTheBoy: Yes,the male cows fed them: they grow bigger.As for you, if you're worried about the estrogen effects of soy isoflavones,I wouldn't.You'd have to eat a cow's worth every day and even then, it's doubrful you'd soon be buying lipstick.Humans metabolize them efficiently and there aren't many legit studies that demonstrate much of a problem.Eat in moderation- and let me know if your bra size changes. ...Read more
No, but...: ...Alfalfa contains isoflavones which have a low and variable degree of estrogen like activity in animal models. One would have to consume a lot of alfalfa to have much of an effect, and there are side effects associated with this supplement which would need to be seriously considered first. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Forgive my frankness: You will be told at various times by "environmentally conscious persons" that estrogens in the diet and the environment are ruining humankind and other living things, and that "phytoestrogens" are also extremely good for you. After 30 years, I'm totally unimpressed, and most of the claims have fizzled scientifically. Others here may disagree, but I say eat what you wish. ...Read more
Yes: Unless you have an allergy no interactions with alfalfa and thyroid. ...Read more
Yes it is safe: It is not clear if effective, but not harmful. ...Read more
Seed unsafe longterm: The seeds are unsafe longterm and may cause reactions similar to the autoimmune disease lupus. It may also cause the skin to become sensitive to the sun. It is unsafee to use during pregnancy and breast feeding because of its estrogen like effect. Autoimmune diseases might flare up from taking alfalfa.Hormone sensitive conditons as breast , uterine, ovarian, cancer and endometriosis might worsen. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- My wife is woken up with a choking sensation what is the problem
- What is the best career for a person with social anxiety problems?
- What is the recommended sodium intake per day for someone with heart problems?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the problem with health care?
- What is the ana ifa screen with refl titer ana screen ifa used for?
- My left leg falls asleep what is the problem
- What is the average life expectancy of a person with cardiomyopathy?
- What does it mean when the white of your eye is yellow with liver problems?