Doctor insights on:
What Is The Normal Average Duration Of A Bowel Movement
The gastrointestinal tract starts at the mouth, travel down the tunnel (esophagus), which connects to the stomach, which then empties into the duodenum, jejunum, and ileum---the three parts of the small intestine (@25 feet). This empties into the colon or large intestine (about 5 feet), which then becomes the sigmoid colon, rectum and out the anus. So, every morsel eaten ...Read more
Two or three: Days. If you don't return to normal after that, consult your GI specialist. I hope they didn't find anything serious up there. ...Read more
Probably: About 3 days or so, depending on operative findings. If you had an acute infection or any complication, then it would take longer. Ask your surgeon for specifics in your case. ...Read more
How long after an appendectomy should I expect to have a bowel movement? Its been around two days. Im eating normal and taking a stool softener.
Generally soon: 2-3 months post-op.Get a more detailed answer ›
After hemorrhoid surgery approximately how long before bowel movements return to normal and what is the best diet for after surgery?
One of the major: determinants is whether you have general anesthesia or not (anesthetics paralyze bowel) and how many narcotic pain killers you take afterward. Many doctors advise starting stool softeners/fiber supplements before surgery. Stay super well-hydrated. Prune or apple juice may be helpful; raw veggies, while good for fiber, may be painful to pass. Two weeks, 3 at outside, and all should be good:) ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is a normal bowel movement number per day?
- What should a normal bowel movement look like?
- What does a normal bowel movement look like?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Normal bowel movement frequency
- Is black bowel movement normal?
- Is it normal to not have a bowel movement everyday?
- Normal bowel movement after colonoscopy
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online