Doctor insights on:
What Is The Main Difference Between Sars And Pneumonia
Virus: Sars in caused by a virus, which is a different kind of infectious organism compared to bacterial pneumonia. One consequence of this is that there is no antibiotic treatment for sars, and one must rely on support of the patient until the infection runs its course. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
SARS vs influenza: Both of these viral infections are bad news- SARS is worse, since there's no good antiviral treatment or vaccine-whereas at least flu has antiviral medication and a vaccine that can help tremendously. SARS is a corona virus (looks like a little crown under an electron microscope). Flu is an orthomyxovirus. Good hygiene practices go a long way in preventing these diseases. Luckily no SARS right now ...Read more
Viral type: The sars illness was caused by a coronavirus and "swine flu" is the influenza subtype h1n1. Both result in a severe pneumonia and can result in mutliple organ failure leading to death. The mortality rate of sars was much higher than the pandemic h1n1, as was the propensity to spread via the air. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Suspicion + PCR: Sars is very rare, and you are unlikely to ever see or know anyone who has it... However, if someone is traveling to the us from an endemic area or there is an outbreak, most state labs and some reference labs can either do an eia or rt-pcr test on sputum, urine, or feces for the virus. As it is so rare other forms of pneumonia should be tested for as well - even in an outbreak. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Respiratory symptoms: In general, severe acute respiratory syndrome (sars), begins with a high fever (temp >100.4°f [>38.0°c]). Other symptoms may include headache, an overall feeling of discomfort, and body aches. Some people also have mild respiratory symptoms at the outset. About 10-20% of patients have diarrhea. After 2 to 7 days, sars patients may develop a dry cough. Most patients develop pneumonia. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the main difference between swine flu and sars?
- What is the main difference between pneumonia and bronchitis?
- What is the difference between tuberculosis and pneumonia?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the main difference between peripheral neuropathy and spinal stenosis?
- What is the main difference between tendonitis and carpal tunnel?
- What is the difference between tb and pneumonia?
- What is the main difference between a compound fracture and a contusion?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free