Doctor insights on:
What Is The Leading Cause Of Pericarditis For The Elderly
You are describing pericarditis, an inflammation of the tissue sac surrounding the heart. It typically causes pain in the chest and sometimes radiates to the side of the neck and back. It can be accompanied by fever, rapid heartbeat, a characteristic "rub" heard with a stethoscope, and characteristic abnormalities on an electrocardiogram. It can be caused by a virus, ...Read more
Pericarditis: Pericarditis is inflammation of the tissue covering of the heart. It is commonly caused by viruses and sometimes other infections or inflammatory diseases. There are other causes also. The viral form generally goes away itself but can recur. Other forms may need special treatment like drainage of the pericardial sac to remove fluid if it interferes with heart function. ...Read more
Varied: Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and scleroderma, can cause pericarditis. Kidney failure (uremic pericarditis), tumors, genetic diseases such as familial mediterranean fever, or rarely, medications that suppress the immune system can also be the cause. In a number of cases of pericarditis, the cause is unknown. This is referred to as idiopathic pericarditis. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Why do i keep getting recurring episodes of pericarditis? Will it cause harm to me later on in life?
Pericarditis: Relapses can occur w/ idiopathic ("we don't know what caused it") pericarditis, an inflammation of the sac around the heart. Treatment w/ steroids may increase the chance of chronic relapses, so trying to treat it w/ nonsteroidal drugs is probably best. Other causes of pericarditis include autoimmune disorders eg, lupus. Consult an internal medicine, cardiology, or rheumatology doctor. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the leading cause of high blood pressure in children?
- What is the cause of death for als patients?
- What is the leading cause of female infertility?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the cause of dizziness for six days in an otherwise healthy woman?
- What is the cause of restless legs and the treatments for it?
- What is the cause of dizziness for six days straight?
- What is the cause of blood in urine for men?
- Talk to a geriatrician online for free