Doctor insights on:
What Is The Job Of Pericardium
Small amount normal: There is normally a tiny amount of fluid there but if it increases it can compress the heart and cause problems. Finding the reason for the fluid such as bacterial infection, tb, tumor, or certain inflammatory disease is necessary to determine the treatment and the prognosis. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Little role: The pericardium is a lining around the heart muscle. Its function is of little value, but it is thought to be a barrier against foreign bodies or proteins that might harm the heart muscle. Its only significance is when the pericardium is inflammed, as in pericarditis, or when fluid builds up around the heart and collects between the heart and pericardium and can cause heart failure. ...Read more
Pericardium: We probably don't realize the complete function of pericardium but among others -- we know that pericardium plays a major role in the hemodynamics of the organs -- in this case the heart and the lungs, the fluid exchange and the intrathoracic pressure regulation pertaining to that internal organs -- ad mechanical protection to the heart against trauma, infection, and metastasis --. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Fluid: The pericardium is the space between the surface of the heart and the pericardial lining. Inside this space is usually a small amount of fluid, the pericardial fluid. Since the heart is constantly moving with each beat, the sac protects the heart and the fluid functions like oil on a piston to allow smooth, effortless movement. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is a visceral pericardium?
- What happens if the pericardium is removed?
- What happens if the pericardium tears?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is involved in a pericardium removal what happens after?
- What happens when the pericardium of the heart is removed?
- What is the benefits of having the heart enclosed in a sac that has pericardium?
- Calcified pericardium
- Talk to a cardiologist online