Doctor insights on:
What Is The Drug Classification Of Plavix
With caution: There is a caution about combining the two agents as both can increase the risk of bleeding, by different mechanisms. This however would be true of any serotonergic antidepressant. You should discuss any concerns you have the prescribing physicians. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
After placement of four drug eluting stents two years ago I have been on plavix since and want to quit. My cardiologist is ambivilant. Help.?
Risk benefit: Are you on Aspirin too? The standard of care is to cover with both Aspirin and Plavix for atleast a year and then be on Aspirin lifelong. But if you have no other problems ( GI bleed etc) you must continue to be on both the drugs. If you are only on Plavix, then you must continue to take it ... to prevent future cardiovascular events. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
More potent: Plavix (clopidogrel) now has competitor drugs. Effient (prasugrel) is more potent at inhibiting platelets, which prevents clots, but this also leads to higher bleeding risk (double-edged sword). Ticagrelor is another agent with proven benefits similar to Plavix (i.e. Heart attack risk reduction), and seems to be more potent without increasing bleeding, but verdict is out still. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How long can you expect to have bruising due to the plavix still being in your system after discontinuing the drug?
I started taking Plavix once a day and I also take Prevacid and on occasion Prilosec. Is there any interactions with these drugs?
Absolutely: There is a well know interaction between plavix and proton pump inhibitors. Plavix is a prodrug(inactive) and is activated in the liver. This process of activation is blocked by proton oump inhibitors. Specifically with nexium and prilosec, also somewhat with other ppis. The only one safe to use is dexilant and possibly protonix. Or change plavix to effient or brilinta under guidance of MD ...Read more
Is plavix still a first line treatment for those with stents(i have 2 in lad) or is effient now the drug of choice?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the drug classification of prevacid?
- What is the the drug classification of metoprolol?
- What is the drug classification of decadron?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- In what sense the new plavix replacement drug is better for cad patients
- What is the drug of choice for the peripheral neuropathy in diabetic pt?
- What is the best combination of antihypertensive drugs if one alone failed?
- What is the classification of budesonide?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free