Doctor insights on:
What Is The Difference Between Rheumatic Fever And Rheumatic Heart Disease
ARF can cause RHD: Acute rheumatic fever is an immunologic response to a strep infection. It can cause fever, rash, arthritis and can damage the heart. Not everyone who gets acute rheumatic fever get permanent heart disease. Rheumatic heart disease is due to heart damage from acute rheumatic fever. ...Read more
Heart disease is a condition in which a person has problems within his or her vascular system and heart, which includes both congenital birth defects and problems acquired later. Examples of heart disease include clogging (atherosclerosis) of the coronary (heart) arteries, heart attacks (obstructions of the arteries), damaged heart valves, heart muscle failure, and viral infections of the heart. Some major causes of heart disease include genetics, smoking, hypertension, high ...Read more
How would i know if i had rheumatic heart disease? Had scarlet fever that went untreated longer than it should have 22 years ago.
An exam could help: Rheumatic heart disease is the result of a strep infection. Fortunately most don't go on to have heart involvement, particularly if the infection is treated. If your heart valves were affected it would very likely be audible on physical exam. If your physician is suspicious, they may order an echocardiogram to confirm those suspicions. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Coordinate care: In a situation like this, it is important for you to see a vein specialist (phlebologist ) about your veins. Your phlebologist should then discuss your case with your cardiologist. If both agree that you would benefit from having vein treatment, they can coordinate your care to make sure that treatment is safe for your heart and effective for your veins. Nowadays, major surgery is rarely needed. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: Rheumatic fever (rf) is casued by a bacterial infection (streptococcus) and can cause heart valve problems. Asthma is a condition of the lungs and airway obstruction and spasm. However, if heart valves are affected by rf, then they can leak and cause symptoms that mimic asthma. This condition of commonly referred to as cardiac asthma. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Scarlet fever and rheumatic heart disease
- What is the difference between congenital and congestive heart disease?
- What is the difference between coronary heart disease and heart disease?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the difference between coronary and congenital heart disease?
- What is the cause of rheumatic heart disease?
- Difference between heart disease and cardiovascular disease
- What is the difference between coronary artery disease and heart failure?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free