Top
10
Doctor insights on: What Is The Difference Between Poison Oak Rash And Amoxicillin Rash

Share
1

1
Hi I have poison oak rashes under my kneecap and around that area. I was just wondering when you know it is starting to heal.

Hi I have poison oak rashes under my kneecap and around that area. I was just wondering when you know it is starting to heal.

You left out too muc: Where do you live? Are you sure of the cause of this? "Poison Oak" is in western US. The rash is an allergic reaction. It would be unusual for it to be confined to the area described and unusual to be the same on both sides. Eczema is common behind the knees. The duration depends on the diagnosis, 4 weeks after contact with a plant, much longer if eczema. Both respond to prescription cortisones. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
Dr. Cornelia Franz
1,059 doctors shared insights

Rash (Definition)

Most bumps and blotches on a newborn baby are harmless and clear up by themselves. By far the most common skin problem in infants is diaper rash. Diaper rash is an irritation of the skin caused by dampness, urine, or feces. Most babies who wear diapers will have some type of diaper rash. However, there are other skin disorders that can cause rashes. These are usually not serious unless ...Read more


3

3
What does a poison oak rash usually look like?

What does a poison oak rash usually look like?

Streaks of blisters: Poison ivy, oak, and sumac are plants that contain an oil (urushiol) which can cause a rash called allergic contact dermatitis when they touch your skin. The rash appears as itchy blisters (fluid filled bumps) or hives distributed classically in lines or streaks where the plant brushed against the skin. The rash usually appears 1-2 days from contact, but can occur up to 2 weeks after exposure. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
4

4
How do you know if a rash was caused by poison oak?

Poison Oak Rash: Typically an itching, red rash with bumps or blisters in a linear pattern or wherever the oil touched. The rash does not spread by the fluid from the blisters. Therefore, once a person has washed the oil completely off the skin, the rash is usually not contagious. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
5

5
Poison oak rash is gone but itch is still there what can I do?

Poison oak rash is gone but itch is still there what can I do?

OTC products: Over the counter products such as calamine lotion or oral antihistamines such as Claritin (loratadine) or Allegra are helpful. For prevention ivyblock prior to yardwork or hiking is helpful. Washing within one hour of exposure with tecnu or zanfel soap can minimize reactions. Wear long sleeves when doing yardwork or have someone else do it for you. Wash clothes right away and pets can carry the oil on them. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
6

6
What's good to cure rash from poison ivy and poison oak?

What's good to cure rash from poison ivy and poison oak?

Poison Ivy: The best therapy is a prolonged dose of oral steroids, typically 10 or more days. Tapering steroid packs such as a 10 or 13 day "dexpak" is most effective. Shorter durations of steroids will often result in return of the rash. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
7

7
My teenage son has poison oak. What can I do to relieve his symptoms? (itchy, redness, rash)

My teenage son has poison oak. What can I do to relieve his symptoms? (itchy, redness, rash)

Poison oak: If you have a moderate to severe rash, you may need to see your doctor. He or she may prescribe corticosteroid pills. These medicines may help improve or clear up the rash more quickly. Prescription corticosteroid creams, ointments, gels, or shots may also be used. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
10

10
Wife has a poison oak rash from approximately 1 week ago. No over the counter medication is working. Rash is hot to the touch has extreme pain ?

Wife has a poison oak rash from approximately 1 week ago. No over the counter medication is working. Rash is hot to the touch has extreme pain ?

See your doctor: if the rash isn't getting better, or is hot, painful or very red, it may need stronger mess. It may be infected, in which case you may need an antibiotic. Or you may have a severe allergic reaction to the poison oak, and might benefit from a steroid. You need to see your doctor ASAP. ...Read more

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
259 doctors shared insights

Poisoning (Definition)

Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more


Amoxicillin (Definition)

Amoxicillin is in the penicillin class of antibiotics. All penicillins are distinguished by the presence of a beta-lactam ring, and are known to kill bacteria by inhibiting synthesis (production) ...Read more