Doctor insights on:
What Is The Difference Between Lobectomy And Pneumonectomy
If I have hyperthyroid/graves, after a lobectomy is my thyroid function likely to change to hypothyroid or remission? Or won't make a difference?
Can change: To hypothyroid. Your doctor should periodically monitor your thyroid with blood work. ...Read more
Benefit vs risk: A pneumonectomy is a major surgery in which an entire lung is removed. Like any major surgery, there can be complications - some serious. Risks include bleeding, infection, irregular heartbeat, blood clots after surgery, & even a heart attack. However, if you have a serious illness like lung cancer, the benefit to surgery may outweigh the risks. I urge you to discuss concerns w/ your doctor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Entire lung: A pneumonectomy is the removal of the entire lung on one side, usually for lung cancer. Thoracic surgeons now trie to avoid pneumonectomy by performing what are called lung sparing procedures, such as sleeve lobectomy. See a board certified thoracic surgeon before undergoing a pneumonectomy. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: Pneumonectomy, with correct planning, can be done safely with close to a 3% mortality rate. Left sided pneumonectomy is considered safer than right sided pneumonectomy. That is mostly due to the fact that you are simply taking out slightly more lung on the right than the left. Chemotherapy and radiation all factor in to decisions to proceed with pneumonectomy or not. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
How much more risky or dangerous is it to perform a pneumonectomy on someone who had a bypass surgery 8 years previous ?
Significant: Unusual also since pnemonectomy is most common for cancer that is extensive. If on left must be careful with mammary graft. Wedge or lobectomy are well tolerated if the heart function is good. Consider a cath to be sure of graft status. With good preparation, it is possible. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the difference between tuberculosis and pneumonia?
- What is the difference between zyrtec and xyzal?
- What is the biological difference between vaginal bleeding and your period?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the difference between piles and hemorrhoids?
- What is the difference between a polyp and a hemorrhoid?
- What is the difference between hyperextended thumb and sprained thumb?
- What is the difference between diarrhea and loose stool?
- Talk to a pulmonologist online for free