Doctor insights on:
What Is The Difference Between Hyperthyroidism And Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism is a medical condition that lowers the level of thyroid hormone to a point where the patient has a marked decrease in overall health. Often the patient does not notice the loss of thyroid hormone for several weeks or more. Once diagnosed with low thyroid hormone levels, the patient will be prescribed with thyroid hormone to a point where the thyroid levels are normal and ...Read more
Is there a way to tell difference between hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism without going to the doctors?
You can't: Hyperthyroidism is overactive thyroid, hypothyroidism is underactive thyroid. The symptoms are opposite each other, and are nonspecific. Most people who have symptoms that seem like they are thyroid related do not actually have thyroid disease when they are tested. The only way of being sure is to see a doctor and have a blood test (tsh, t4). ...Read more
Opposite conditions: Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid and can cause symptoms of weight gain, swelling, fatigue, sleepiness, constipation, feeling cold, hair loss. Hyperthyroidism is an overactive thyroid and can cause weight loss, feeling hot, palpitations, diarrhea, muscle weakness, shakiness, difficulty sleeping, anxiety. ...Read more
If I have hyperthyroid/graves, after a lobectomy is my thyroid function likely to change to hypothyroid or remission? Or won't make a difference?
Can change: To hypothyroid. Your doctor should periodically monitor your thyroid with blood work. ...Read more
Yes.: While some symptoms of hypothyroidism are the opposite of hyperthyroidism, some are the same! Both hypo and hyperthyroidism can cause fatigue, weight gain, and poor concentration. Or the symptoms could be unrelated to the thyroid. See your doctor to find out what caused the hyperthyroidism, make a plan for treating it, and then, if symptoms are still present, finding what else might be going on. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
The thyroid gland is an endocrine organ located in the front part of the neck. Its role is to make thyroid hormones, which control the way cells use energy. Hyperthyroidism results when the thyroid gland is overactive and too much thyroid hormone is produced, which speeds up metabolism. This results in weight loss, a quick heartbeat, sweating, nervousness, ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the difference between hyperthyroidism and graves disease?
- What are the differences between hashimoto disease and plain hypothyroid?
- What disease exists when thyroid fluctuates between hypothyroid and hyperthyroid?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is there a difference between cretinism and congenital hypothyroidism?
- What is the difference between diverticulitis and diverticulitis?
- What is the difference between haemosiderosis and haemoschromatosis?
- What is the difference between epidemic and pandemic?
- What is the difference between hyperthyroidism and thyrotoxicosis?