Doctor insights on:
What Is The Difference Between Cervical Leukoplakia And Cervical Leukoplasia
White patches: Although your question refers to a gynecological condition of white patches on the cervix of the uterus, it should be mentioned that there is also oral leukoplakia, which shows as white patches on or under the tongue, or inside cheeks or lips. This can result from tobacco chewing or smoking, alcohol or some mouth rinses. It could become cancerous and should be evaluated by a dentist. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Is leukoplakia of the cervix a transmitted disease of some sort. How does one get leukoplakia of the cervix?
Leukoplakia: Leukoplakia is just a whitish patch on the cervix visible the the eye. It can be caused by various things such as rubbing from a device in the vagina or from a viral infection with hpv. So yes, it can be sometimes caused by a transmitted disease but often it's not. A biopsy is the only way to be sure what is the cause. If pap smear is abnormal, this is the best way to figure it out. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Difference: Is LP is of unknown cause, has no cure/treatment, may resolve on its own or recur, can appear in or out of the mouth. Leukoplakia occurs in people who use tobacco products/alcohol. It can become cancerous 0-20% of the time although the majority do not become cancerous. It should be watched and biopsied when recommended. See your dentist regularly/ent. ...Read more
Only look similar: Although the conditions may take on similar appearance, they're completely different. Oral lichen planus is an autoimmune disorder in which there is inflammation arising from the action of antibodies to the deeper cells of the mucous membrane. Hairy leukoplakia is a thickening of the surface tissues from epstein-barr virus in the presence of a weakened immune system, as might occur in HIV disease. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the relationship between plantar warts on the feet and cervical cancer?
- What is the difference between scabies and mange?
- What is the difference between tuberculosis and pneumonia?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the biological difference between vaginal bleeding and your period?
- What is the difference in between a hemorrhoid and a polyp?
- What is the difference between piles and hemorrhoids?
- What is the difference between a polyp and a hemorrhoid?
- Talk to a obstetrician and gynecologist online