Doctor insights on:
What Is The Difference Between Arthritis And Polymyalgia Rheumatica
See below: Pmr is an auto immune disease. In auto immune diseases certain types of white blood cells attack your own tissues and cause cell or tissue destruction. Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis are two common examples. In these cases the immune system must be modulated, sometimes with powerful medications. ...Read more
Inflammatory vs. not: Can produce similar symptoms, but PMR is an inflammatory condition for which there is a single and effective treatment. FM is a condition with less defined symptoms which variably responds to a variety of interventions. Because they are common sometimes people will have both conditions. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
PMR affects muscles: Polymyalgia rheumatica presents as painful muscles, usually in your shoulders, upper arms and thighs. It is associated with a lab finding, elevated sedimentation rate (ESR) and is treated with oral steroids, usually prednisone. Little is known about what causes pmr, but it is an inflammatory disorder of the muscles. It is seen usually in those aged over 50. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
What research is being conducted to help people who have polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis?
Autoimmune: Polymyalgia rheumatica (pmr) is an autoimmune disease that occurs in people 50 years of age and older. It is associated with severe pain and stiffness in the shoulders and hips. Pmr can also lead to blindness due to inflammation in blood vessels of the eye. Pmr is treated with steroids and Aspirin to prevent blindness. Other medicines (antibiotics) are sometimes used to prevent steroid effects. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Many aches and pain: The definition is many muscles and joint pain. Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory arthritic disease that affects patients above 50 years old. It is associated with shoulder, upper arm (muscles), hip, upper leg (muscles) pain and stiffness. It can be associated with fevers and weight loss. True weakness comes from the pain and stiffness of the muscles and joints. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the difference between psoriatic arthritis and polymyalgia rheumatica?
- What is the difference between autoimmune diseases and polymyalgia rheumatica?
- What is the discrepancy between rheumatoid arthritis and polymyalgia rheumatica?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the difference between fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatica?
- What is the difference between autoimmune diseases and inflammatory arthritis?
- What is the difference between psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia?
- What is the difference between osteoarthritis and psoriatic arthritis?
- Talk to a rheumatologist online for free