Doctor insights on:
What Is The Difference Between An Adrenal Adenoma And An Adrenal Myelolipoma
Different tumor type: An adrenal adenoma is just made up of adrenal cortical cells (the normal cells of the gland). A myelolipoma is composed of mature fat and bone marrow elements (also normal). This tumor has a very specific appearance by imaging -- and is usually not a functional tumor. It does not have to be removed, unless there are symptoms. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Both are benign: Myelolipoma is a fatty tumor. originates in the fat cell in the adrenal glands. They contain some hematopoietic ( blood forming cells) The adenoma is a benign tumor that originates in the gland portion of the adrenal tissue. The part that secretes hormones such as cortisol and sex hormones. MRI can tell which is which. Both are most commonly incidental findings. ...Read more
No: An adrenal adenoma is a benign tumor of the adrenal gland. It typically causes no complications. Someimes these tumors become "active" or "functioning" producing hormones, often in excess of what the adrenal glands typically produce. This excess of hormones can cause primary aldosteronism, Cushing's syndrome and other medical conditions. They do not stop hormone production.once functional. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Blood ; urine tests: Adrenal masses should very rarely be biopsied. Pheochromocytoma, an adrnealine producing tumor, must always be excluded prior to biopsy. Adrenal masses are diagnosed by imaging (ct and mri) blood and urine test. Biopsy is probably only indicated in patients with known history of cancer and suspicion for metastasis to adrenal. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Rare to have Emergen: This is often a silent growth, that is why it is found incidentally and is called an incidentaloma. If it makes hormones it may produce execess of hormones that can increase BP. So undiagnosed high BP may be its only manifest effect. But high BP is often also silent. ...Read more
My ctscan gave an impression 2hch says consider left adrenal adenoma vs hyperplasia. Is this a serious matter?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the difference between an adverse drug reaction and side effect?
- What is the difference between an impingement and tear of a rotator cuff?
- What is the difference between an excisional and incisional biopsy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the difference between an echocardiogram and an ultrasound test?
- What is the difference between a cholinergic agonist and an adrenergic agonist?
- What is the difference between an allergen and an antigen?
- What is the difference between an mammogram and a ultrasound?
- Talk to a oncologist online for free