Doctor insights on:
What Is The Difference Between Acute And Chronic Hepatitis B
Time course: One has to have acute hepatitis b before it becomes chronic hepatitis b. Fifty percent of patients that have acute hepatitis b clear the virus in 1 years time. However, if after 1 year, the virus is still present, then it is considered to be chronic. There are no fda approved medications for acute hepatitis b, but there are several fda approved medications for chronic hepatitis b. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hepatitis b is a viral liver disease. Until vaccines were developed this was a very common cause of hepatitis, and still is in some countries. Hep b is a progressive chronic disease which can lead to cirrhosis and also to cancer of the liver. It is also implicated in the causation ...Read more
Not fast: The fact that one has "chronic" hepatitis B means that you have had it long enough, at least 6 months, to be labeled chronic. It means the hepatitis B virus has not cleared from your system & you remain infected & infectious to others. The disease has a long, slow course in most people; rapid changes seldom occur. Treatment is available to help prevent liver cancer & cirrhosis. ...Read more
Virus at early age: Hep b: common (world-wide) viral infection, commonly obtained at birth from mom who is chronic carrier (probably got it at birth from her mother). Adult onset (usually blood transmission, less likely sexual): better chance of being only acute, not chronic. "dose" of exposure, genotype, immune response all play a role. Can rx. Chr inf can lead to more liver problems, incl. Cirrhosis, failure, ca. ...Read more
Hepatitis B: First thing you will want to do is to speak with your primary care provider who can refer you to the appropriate specialist (usually an infectious disease specialist). Several blood test will need to be done to determine if you need treatment. Not everyone needs to be treated right away. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the differences between chronic and acute hepatitis b?
- What is the difference between acute and chronic leukemia?
- What is the difference between chronic leukemia and acute leukemia?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the difference between hepatitis b and c?
- What is the difference between hepatitis a b and c?
- Difference between acute and chronic pyelonephritis
- Difference between acute and chronic renal failure
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free