Doctor insights on:
What Is The Connection Between Taking Vitamins And Blood Clots
Eat Your Spinach: In general, vitamin k is associated with blood clotting. Vitamin k is a "fat loving" vitamin that carboxylates proteins important in the clotting process. Without this action of vit k, clots are unable to form. Drugs such as warfarin prevent vit k from doing its job, therefore patients on this medication tend to bleed a lot. Both the diet and bacteria in our gut provide vit k for use. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Low or unrelated: Cyanocobalamin or vitamin B12 is important for normal erythrocyte formation (red blood cell). If b 12 is deficient, one gets pernicious anemia and the mean corpuscular volume (MCV) climbs > 100. Gastric bypass, gastric resection surgeries increase the risk of pernicious anemia. But as to increased risk for DVT or deep venous thrombosis ("blood clots") vitamin B12 palys little if any role. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
None : Not aware of any.Get a more detailed answer ›
Would taking vitamin k2 help prevent blood clots that may occur whilst taking raloxifene for osteoporosis?
Uncertain: I am unaware of any vitamins that are as potent as meds such as aspirin, Coumadin or plavix. However, there is data showing that supplements such as fish oil, vitamin e, and vitamin c have some blood thinning properties. Regardless, addressing the reason for blood clots in the legs is very important. Dealing with weight, immobility, and inflammation in the blood vessels is crucial for prevention. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: There are no vitamins or natural therapeutics that will prevent or cure blood clots. Dvt's or blood clots in the leg are a serious condition and could lead to death if improperly treated. The only medications that help are the blood thinners like Coumadin (warfarin) and Lovenox (low molecular weight heparin). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
What disease might cause the body to quit producing vitamin b resulting in blood clots on the lungs?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there a connection between taking vitamin b12 and the risk of blood clots?
- What is the difference between bruises and blood clots?
- What is the difference between a blood clot and a bruise?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the connection between high blood pressure and the heart?
- What is the difference between venous blood pressure and arterial blood pressure?
- What is the difference between vitamin b6 and b12?
- What is the connection between endometriosis and hair loss?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free