Doctor insights on:
What Is The Best Treatment For Chorea
Huntington disease: There is a new drug approved in 2008 called tetrabenazine for huntington disease and is quite effective medication and low side effect profile. ...Read more
No real cure: Sydenham described a specific form of chorea associated with strep infections. This can occur with rheumatic fever. Sle and other auto immune disorders can result in chorea or other neurological conditions. For strep it is necessary to give pennicillin. Steroids and embril may help. ...Read more
Time to heal: Rheumatic fever can be associated with sydenham's chorea, which can often be controlled with medication. Typically, as the rheumatic fever resolves, the chorea should likewise remit, but this could involve a period of several weeks to months. A neurologist with experience in movement disorders should be able to help. ...Read more
CHOREA: A term that is used to refer to rapid, jerky, involuntary movements of the limbs or face that characterize several different disorders of the nervous system, including chorea of pregnancy and huntington's chorea ( associated to dementia) as well as sydenham's chorea ( associated to rheumatic fever).. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Diaganosis first: Chorea is actually a symptom. First, you need to figure out what is causing your chorea. A visit to a neurologist would be prudent. Common causes include genetic disease such as huntington's disease or secondary to a streptococcal infection + fever. Better to evaluate the underlying cause first. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the best treatment for lumbar lordosis?
- What is the best treatment for delayed menstrual period?
- What is the best treatment for anal mucus discharge?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the best treatment for penis scar?
- What is the best treatment for scrotal hematoma?
- What is the best treatment for small testes?
- What is the best treatment for weak uterus?
- Talk to a neurologist online