Doctor insights on:
Best Treatment For An Antibiotic Allergy
Allergies occur when your immune system is triggered by envirionmental factors it should ignore--for example, pollen in the air, or dander on a cat or dog--and creates cells to fight against them. An allergic reaction typically causes itching, congestion, or drainage, and ...Read more
Yes.: Yes, however it is somewhat limited. The only fda approved antibiotic that we can skin test for is penicillin. It is tested in small amounts by scratch testing and then small amounts are injected, in increasing doses. Finally if these are negative a small oral dose is given. It is important to test for possible pencillin allergy as this is still an effective, inexpensive antibiotic. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Exposure = Risk: Inappropriate/excessive use of antibiotics has multiple potentially negative effects one of which is the increased risk of sensitization, allergy to the medication. ...Read more
It varies.: It can occur within seconds of swallowing the first dose, to hours after the 'umpteenth' time someone takes it. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is best antibiotic for treatment of uti?
- What is the best antibiotic treatment for tonsillitis?
- What is the best treatment for failure of antibiotic therapy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the best treatment for a child with eczema and several allergies?
- Best antibiotic treatment for diverticulitis
- What are the best antibiotics for acne?
- What is the best antibiotic for bronchitis?
- Talk to an allergist and immunologist online for free