Doctor insights on:
What Is Stainless Steel Jewelry Are People Allergic To It
It depends: "stainless steel" is a carbon based metal. However, most "stainless steel" - even so called "surgical stainless" will contain other metals in trace amounts. If people are allergic to nickel or chromium, if their stainless steel has enough of those metals in it, they might have a reaction. ...Read more
Nickel allergy: Most surgical steel allergy is to the nickel alloy. Avoid any nickel alloy plating. Yellow gold is usually safe, but avoid silver. Platinum may also be safe but check with the jeweler and ask for the purity of all metals purchased. ...Read more
Metal allergy: Ideally you should be fine, unless there is nickel in it, there are kits you can buy to test jewelry for nickel content. ...Read more
Metal allergy: The most common metals associated with contact dermatitis allergy are nickel, cobalt, gold sodium thiosulphate. The T.R.U.E. Test can help clarify if these metals are implicated with the contact allergy associated with rash. Here is a link for more information on the T.R.U.E. Test: http://www.smartpractice.com/Apps/WebObjects/SmartPractice.woa/wa/content?f=product-truetest.html&m=SPA ...Read more
Gold and Platinum: People who are allergic to "cheap jewelry" are usually allergic to nickel and/or chromium. Though contact allergy can occur to any metal, the lowest rates of reaction are (unfortunately for some) to the more expensive metals like gold and platinum. The higher the quality, the less likely there is for a reaction. ...Read more
18k or Platinum: My wife is a jeweler and she says platinum always works. 18k as long as no nickel is used in the mixture. ...Read more
Yes: You can get a patch test by an allergist that can determine if you're allergic to different things. The most common is a nickel allergy. It can easily be diagnosed by just your history and skin reaction to the offending agent. ...Read more
I'm allergic to nickel as found in jewelry. Can I wear chrome plated jewelry without itching or breaking out?
Chrome over nickel: Purely "chromed" jewelry should be fine, but some are actually chromium-plated over nickel(making it more durable), thus once the chromium is worn-off exposing nickel you can still have trouble. Typically the reaction is slow and so if you start to have any trouble with the chromed/nickeled product, stop using asap and you should be fine. Topical steroid helps the rash. Consult doc. Good luck. ...Read more
Never allergic to jewelry, developing rash under wedding band set (rough, red, itchy), white gold, no rash anywhere else when wearing gold?
Wedding ring rash: Wedding ring rash is a fairly common condition. It can occur at any time, sometimes even years, after beginning to wear a ring. It can be due to an allergy to the nickel component in the metal, or to irritation resulting from extended periods of moisture, or contact with soaps or other chemicals. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I was recently told that my surgeon put in a stainless steel plate in my arm & not titanium. I have an allergy to Nickel. Will this cause me problems?
Ni Allergy: Unless the allergy is severe, the Ni leaching out of a plate should be insignificant. Since there is rarely enough friction to aggravate any elution when placed on a long bone or a flat one your are probably safe. Swelling and redness around the area would prove me wrong. ...Read more
How many people are allergic to titanium in the surgical clips?#nqlu i had a lap. Gallbladder surgery removal I have been having a lot of problems.I have always been allergic to jewlery, I have had constant infections, skin rashes, etc.
This : This is a very rare allergy and your question is impossible to answer. There is no reporting system in place to document suspected or real cases of titanium allergy, therefore there is no way to know how many people are allergic to titanium. If you feel you are allergic to titanium there is a test called the melisa test. Your doctor should be able to find out where you can obtain such testing. Good luck. ...Read more
For the past few days my left wrist has been very itchy. I have a bad nickel allergy so no jewelry. I tried lotion, Olux, and Cortizone (hydrocortisone) and no relief.
What is your exposur: This brings up the question of what you may be exposed to now that you are not aware of. The nickel allergy reaction is contact dermatitis and this suggests you may have another sensitizer. You might do an inventory - watch, new detergent, etc. This is not generalized but localized to something near the left wrist. Is the wrist itchy on the top or bottom? Maybe your dog has somet ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
My adult son has a rash right below his neck, between his collar bones. He recently started wearing metal jewelry. Could this be an allergic reaction?
Yes: Contact allergy to nickel is very common. Nickel is used extensively in cheap jewelry. He likely won't have a problem is he wears "pure" gold or silver. ...Read more
It depends: Surgical steel, in most cases, is not associated with allergy. If you have never had problems with any metals on your skin (jewelry, watches, belt buckles, piercings), you have nothing to worry about. If you did, there is a test called patch testing that can be performed by a board-certified allergist immunologist which can help. Blood tests are of questionable value. ...Read more
Metal Allergy: The most common metal allergy is nickel. Usually this is suspected when your metal objects such as a front button or jewelry which contain nickel are exposed to the skin and cause an eczematous type of rash. This can be confirmed by patch testing with your physician. ...Read moreSee 3 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Allergic reaction to stainless steel
- Is it possible to be allergic to stainless steel earrings?
- Allergies to stainless steel
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Stainless steel allergy symptoms
- Burned stainless steel
- Are stainless steel utensuls safe?
- Is stainless steel safe?
- Talk to an allergist and immunologist online for free