Doctor insights on:
What Is Nonsecretory Myeloma
I had not heard of "kahler's disease" until seeing multiple questions on healthtap. It is multiple myeloma (mm). "multiple" is from the often seen "multiple" bone lesions (especially in advanced disease). Mm is a cancer of plasma cells [highly specialized b white blood cells (lymphocytes)] that produce antibodies. Sx are crab: hypercalcemia, renal insufficency, anemia, ...Read more
Bone marrow disease: Myeloma is a malignant disorder characterized by excessive growth of plasma cells. It can several complications: excess levels of calcium in the blood, kidney failure, nerve damage, weakening of the bones, increased risk of infections (to name a few). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Only if fracture +: Not everybody who has myeloma will have fracture when diagnosed. Yes, myeloma will involve the bone and there would be increased risk for fracture- however- just because one has myeloma-it does not mean that it is identical to pain unless you have fracture. And if you do-it depends on your tolerance to pain and how severe the fracture is. Pain is very subjective. Discuss with oncologist. ...Read more
Myeloma: Myeloma is cancer of the plasma cells.It is diagnosed through series of blood works, imaging like skeletal bone survey or MRI or pet scan, and a bone marrow biopsy. Signs and symptoms may include anemia ( fatigue, lack of energy etc) , increased serum calcium ( can be presented with confusion, dehydration, increase urination etc), kidney failure (declining renal function), bony pain, fracture, etc. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Plasma cell & other: People who have diagnosis of plasma cell disorders- called mgus ( monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance) would be the one who is at risk for multiple myeloma. Other potential risk factors - include older age, male ( hormone related?), black/african american, exposures to radiation, benzene, and other organic solvents, herbicides, and insecticides and other unknown risk factors. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is a myeloma?
- What are the signs and symptoms of multiple myeloma?
- What is the typical life span of people with myeloma?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the remedy for vertebral collapse in case of multiple myeloma?
- What are the differences between multiple myeloma myeloid leukemia?
- What is the life expectancy of people with multiple myeloma?
- What can be done to prevent renal failure or derangements in myeloma patients?
- Talk to an oncologist and hematologist online for free