Doctor insights on:
What Is Lupus And What Causes It
SLE diagnosis: Systemic lupus erythematosus is best diagnosed by an experienced rheumatologist. It is an autoimmune disease. A high-titer ANA, >1:320 is both sensitive and specific for lupus. Other auto-antibodies can help to confirm the lupus diagnosis. Anti-Smith is highly specific for lupus but not very sensitive. Anti-dsDNA is also highly specific and tends to be seen in lupus with kidney involvement. ...Read more
Lupus erythematosus is a name given to a collection of autoimmune diseases, in which the human immune system becomes hyperactive and attacks normal, healthy tissues.Symptoms of these diseases can affect many different body systems, including joints, skin, kidneys, blood ...Read more
NOT KNOWN...: No one knows the final "trigger-pull" that causes lupus. We do know genetics play some role. We do know that hormones play a major role (reason for female dominance and females rarely getting sle before puberty). But why some with similar factors get disease is not known at present. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Multifactorial: A good number of people with lupus have gastrointestinal symptoms, both from the illness itself and the medications that are used to treat the illness. People also can have decreased motility of the esophagus, peritonitis (which can cause nauseas and loss of appetite) and peptic ulcer disease which can be exasperated by some of the meds used. All of these things can contribute to low appetite. ...Read more
Fatigue in Lupus: Atudy was done at hospital for special surgery few years ago, which suggested that depression and sleep prpblems might contribute to fatigue in patients with lupus.There have been other studies which suggest it may be due to lack of exercise. Acanadian study they found the fatigue is related to depression, pain, quality of sleep, quantity of sleep, exercise lack, severity of illness and stress. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is lupus disease and what causes it?
- While what is the cause of my bulging neck vein when angry and how can i hide it
- What is the drug mirtazapine 15mg and does it cause swelling?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is macromastia and what causes it?
- What is geographic tongue and what causes it?
- What is urolithiasis and what causes it?
- What are the causes of severe sciatica and how is it generally treated?
- Talk to a rheumatologist online for free