Doctor insights on:
What Is Life Expectancy For A Patient With Pulmonary Fibrosis
What's the likelihood of long term antibiotic prophylaxis resulting in pulmonary fibrosis with Nitrofurantoin? Mom's getting sequentially recurrentuti
Pulmonary fibrosis : Pulmonary fibrosis due to nitrofurantoin is rare, about less than 1% reported in literature, but risk increases with age of patient and other medical condition. Symptoms may start to develop after 6 months of treatment. Usually fatigue, dry cough and shortness of breath without fever. Stop the nitrofurantoin if these symptoms develop and see a physician immediately ...Read more
Variable: Some people can live many years with pulmoanry fibrosis in a state of relative quiet. On the other extreme are people who have a rapid downhill course and die in weeks to months. Most people live for several years after diagnosis, but acute worsening can occur at any time. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: As the disease progreses air exchange is lessenend you would feel short of breath. In addition pressure at the pulmonary vasculature increases a commonly used agent is Revatio which is sildefanil (viagra) used for erectile dysfuction. . Decreses pulmonary vessel pressure. Avoidance of smoke and other inhaled irritants is paramount ! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: Typically, patients are in their forties and fifties when diagnosed. Pulmonary fibrosis could be idiopathic (unknown cause), or due to asbestosis, silicosis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, lupus (sle), sarcoidosis, certain medications, radiation and many more. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
What are the prognosis when diagnosed with mild pulmonary fibrosis and tests have shown it has not progressed over a couple of years?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the life expectancy for a patient after heart bypass surgery?
- What is the life expectancy for a person with advanced cirrhosis?
- What is the life expectancy for a chld with vacterl syndrome?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the life expectancy for a person with cardiomopathy?
- What is the average life expectancy of a person with cardiomyopathy?
- What is the life expectancy of someone with advanced lymphoma just a few months?
- What is the average life expectancy for heart transplant patients?
- Talk to a public health specialist online for free