Doctor insights on:
What Is Inflammation Of A Heart Valve Called
A valve is a structure that regulates the direction of flow. The heart is a special kind of pump. It moves blood by squeezing and relaxing. There are 4 chambers and each chamber has a valve. This keeps blood from moving backwards when the heart squeezes. When a chamber squeezes it lets the blood move forward but when the chamber is relaxed it prevents the blood from ...Read more
Endocarditis: The most common type of inflamed heart valve is due to infection, known as endocarditis. This is a life-threatening condition caused by germs, especially bacteria that attack heart valves causing holes, growths, thickening and scarring. This can lead to leaky valves. People with valve disease (except mild mitral valve prolapse without thickening or regurgitation) are at increased risk. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Chordau tendiniae: The "fibers" are called "chordae" and are similar in function to parachute chords. They prevent the valve leaflets to prolapse (tricuspid and mitral), holding them back just like a parachute chord prevents the parachute from flipping up. If these chords break, the valve will leak. Surgical fixes include annuloplasty (narrowing the valve ring), repairing the chordae, and valve replacement. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Inflammation is the body's attempt at self-protection; the aim being to remove harmful stimuli, including damaged cells, irritants, or pathogens - and begin the healing process. Inflammation is part of the complex biological response of vascular tissues to harmful stimuli, such as pathogens, ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the definition of an inflammation of a heart valve?
- What is the significance of a sticky heart valve?
- What is the significance of a heart valve tendon?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the heart valve in back of the heart called?
- What could the narrowing of a heart valve be called?
- What is the significance of an extra heart valve?
- What is the role of a pacemaker after aortic valve replacement surgery?
- Talk to a cardiologist online