Doctor insights on:
What Is Black Mold
Molds consist of airborn spores and spreading forms (hyphae) growing on surfaces. Several species are black including stachybotrys and aspergillus. Black mold ingestion has been associated with a toxic syndrome with brain and blood disorders. Most patients do not ingest black mold so the correlation with their ...Read more
Mold in the home: There are many types of mold and many of them are black. Mold spores are everywhere and a part of life on earth. Excess growth of mold in the home usual comes from an area of water penetration coupled with stagnation of that moisture (lack of appropriate ventilation or airflow). Fixing the problem requires removal of the water source/leakage and/or improving ventilation. ...Read more
Black mold hype: This mania about "black mold" is unwarranted. Many molds are dark or blackish in color and are ubiquitous in damp climates. Molds can cause respiratory allergy symptoms and very occasionally actual infection in mostly immunocomprimised individuals. The tv hype was just that- hype. They are not the cause of every symptom from a to z. ...Read more
Thieves Oils: Theives oil will kill all molds; but nothing will work well until the moisture problem is cleared up. This is a proprietary blend of essential oils of clove, rosemary, cinnamon, eucalyptus and lemon. Several studies have shown effectiveness in killing mold spores. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Black Mold: Very hard to tell what type of mold it is by just looking at it. There are lots of different molds out there that can have a dark or black color. The best way to identify is to have experts take samples to determine what mold you are dealing with. ...Read more
Black mold: Usually black mold symptoms are that of allergy to molds. Black mold is more uncommon and the spores are large so it is not prominant as a allergen. The neurotoxic aspects to tricothecenes are controversial and not generally accepted at this time. Some black molds do not produce tricothecens so it depencds on the type, density, duration and individual susceptibility. ...Read more
Mold allergy: An allergy to mold shows up as usual symptoms of allergic rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, and asthma. These conditions should be treated by your doctor and can cause headache, sleep issues, fatigue, etc. As respiratory irritants, there is no long term effect to your health if you are not allergic to the mold and simply just remove yourself from being confined to spaces that have high mold burdens. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See below:: While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. In 2004 the institute of medicine found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. ...Read more
Nothing will happen: The so called "Black Mold" can be due to several species of indoor mold. These molds are not invasive and don't colonize the skin. They won't cause harm if you get it on your hands but chronic exposure may result in upper and lower respiratory tract symptoms. ...Read moreSee 4 more doctor answers
Black mold: Depending on how much you inhaled it and if you have any lung diseases and or if you have any conditions that affect your immune system, it might cause lung related problems. However if you are healthy, you don't have any symptoms now, you would probably be fine. See a doctor and discuss about it if it still bothers you. ...Read more
Not likely: There is a lot of fear about black mold lately. Much of it is exagerated. The best way I can help is to refer to you this reliable resource. http://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm If you have respiratory symptoms around mold you may be allergic to it. An allergy evaluation can help. ...Read more
Rare but possible: It can be any type of mold you are allergic to. On the other hand, I have only seen one single case of anaphylaxis from mold exposure in several decades of practice. That involved a mold-allergic patient who was spreading steer manure as a fertilizer. When we cultured the fertilizer she used , huge amount of mold growth was found. And that's no bull. ...Read more
Probably nothing: Even if these molds produce toxins, you will have to eat a lot of them to get any toxic effect. If you are not sick by now (assuming you posted the question at least an hour after), you should be ok. In general , one should avoid spoiled food. ...Read more
Depends: If you have developed an allergic reaction to the molds, the condition may improve but not go away when no longer exposed. If your symptoms are from the irritating effects of the volatile organic compounds which give mold the musty odor, then these symptoms should be gone shortly after the exposure. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- What are the symptoms of black mold exposure?
- What can kill black mold?
- What to do if exposed to black mold?
- What to take for black mold allergy?
- What is the difference between mildew and black mold?
- What health problems can black mold cause?
- What symptoms can black mold cause?
- What if i dusturbed black mold and breathed it?
- What are the treatments for exposure to black mold?
People also viewed
- Small black hair