Doctor insights on:
What Is A Proctologist And What Does He Do
Proctologist: Proctologist are surgeons who specialize in colon and rectal surgery. Depending on your specific issue most general surgeons should be able to treat you as well as a proctologist. You can check the American College of Surgeons website www.facs.org to look for surgeons in your area. ...Read more
Careful inspection: The doctor will take a focused history. The anorectal exam has several parts, and can be done with the patient in lateral position or knee-chest position (like kneeling on the table). The perianal area, outside the anus, is inspected and palpated. A gentle rectal exam is next, feeling for any lump or tenderness. A short scope then looks into the anal canal for hemorrhoids and other findings. ...Read more
Anoscopy: A complete exam by a Proctologist will include the examination of the skin & area around your anal opening as well as a digital rectal exam where the doctor will feel for masses inside the anal canal and rectum. Proctologists typically perform an anoscopic examination with a device called an anoscope used to evaluate the hemorrhoids & anal canal and rectum. Some may also perform a sigmoidoscopy. ...Read more
Several choices: 1) ask your primary care physician for his/her recommendation; 2) call your trusted local hospital for the proctologist(s) affiliated with the institution; 3) search any number of doctor-finder web sites; 4) call the local medical society for proctologists in your area; 5) ask your family and friends who may be satisfied with proctology services they've received; 6) yellow pages. Good luck. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does the doctor do during a colonoscopy and what is he looking for?
- What does the doctor see when he shines a light in your eye?
- What does a dr mean when he say a heart attack is in the back of the heart?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What other illnesses do i need to test my child for if he is obese?
- What should i do if my baby is really particular about the food he eats?
- What can i do to help my baby if he had a bad reaction to vaccines?
- My son grinds his teeth at night while he is sleep what can i do
- Talk to a colorectal surgeon online for free