Doctor insights on:
What Is A Normal Diameter For The Renal Artery
Variable: The exact diameter is not the issue since many people have small arteries with no problems. The problem usually is in the stenosis i.e. Constricted area. More than 60% stenosis (narrowing) is considered severe. However, severity by itself is not the only reason to do intervention (put a stent) since if the kidney function, bp, potassium are stable with no resistant edema observation only is chosen. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Arteries are a type of blood vessels. We can divide blood vessels into 2 categories. Arteries are high pressure vessels which deliver (red) oxygen + blood out into the body. Veins on the other hand or low pressure vessels which return (dark) oxygent - blood from the body ...Read more
Relatively quick: In general your renal arteries 'recover' right away, e.g. If you had renal hypertension due to stenosis it is resolved with the percutaneous revascularization. The recovery is for the groin access: most people stay overnight and restrict (some) activities for 1-2 weeks. A week is usually sufficient. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
See below: The gold standard for detecting renal artery occlusion is a renal angiogram, which is injecting a iodinated dye into the blood vessel and taking images. The dye itself can cause some reversible renal injury, and should be used weighing the risk and benefit. Other rare but serious complication is cholesterol embolii syndrome. Other tests eg ultrasound and MRI may not be conclusive. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not so common: Depends on your age, BP level- less than 1% of patients with moderate or gr 2 ( BP more than 160/100) high blood pressure will have renal artery stenosis or blockage. More common in caucasians than african americans.Usually don't have to screen for ras unless patient is on multiple medications , unable to tolerate medicines, severe high BP requiring hospitalization or kidney function is affected. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the normal weight for a 5 1 female?
- What is the normal body temperature for a child?
- What is the normal blood sugar be for a child under 10 yrs old?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the normal pulse rate for a teenager?
- What is the best treatment for a pulmonary edema if the person has renal failure?
- What is the normal range for blood sugar after eating a meal?
- What is the normal weight for a 4 11 female?
- What is the normal weight for a 11 year old female?