Doctor insights on:
What Is A Degenerative Disc
Degenerative disks are when the normal "spongy" architechture of the disks goes away. The disks normally are between the vertebre in your spine. So when the disks degenerate, you lose mobility and eventually the bones can touch together, which is very painful. Also when the disks degenerate, ...Read more
What does mild degenerative disc osteophytic bulging c5-6 and c6-7 which indent the CSF anteriorly indicate?
Genetics: In a research study started in 1991 and published in 2009 (the spine journal 9 pg. 47-59), identical and nonidentical twins were longitudinally studied. Twins had widely differing levels of risk factors (activity, smoking, occupation) thought to cause ddd. This study showed that there is a strong genetic component to ddd and that external risk factors previously belived to be important, were not. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Therapy, medications: Initial treatments for ddd and osteoarthritis of the spine include physical therapy, massage, medications. Some try acupuncture or chiropractic manipulation. If symptoms are more severe, consider pain management for stronger medications. Sometimes, despite all these treatments, symptoms are still there. See your doctor first. Consider an evaluation by a spine surgeon to discuss surgery. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A variety: Of non steroidal anti inflammatory medication as long as there are no contraindications like allergies, use of blood thinners, kidney or liver disease or ulcer/reflux issues . Tylenol (acetaminophen) is an option. Other types of drugs like cymbalta, Elavil and neurontin/lyrica may also help. Ideally, not smoking, regular exercise and weight control are also helpful. Good levels of vitamin d also are important. ...Read more
What can cause lumbar degenerative disc disease? Had no trauma, exercise 4-5 x/week (aerobics), don't smoke, healthy weight, eat well, no family hx
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is severe degenerative disc disease?
- What to do for degenerative disc disease?
- What causes degenerative disc disease?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the symptoms for diagnosing degenerative disc disease?
- What are the treatments for cervical degenerative disc disease?
- What can be done for degenerative disc disease?
- What are the treatments for degenerative disc disease arthritis of the spine?
- Talk to a orthopedic spine surgeon online for free